Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for my second Tarantula please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for my second Tarantula please!

Sorry this is so long :/
    Previous exp:
    · Many different true spiders including Eratigena atrica of which I mated and had many spiderlings from.
    · Red clawed scorpion (very defensive specimen)
    · Vietnamese rainbow millipede
    · A. avicularia (plus my brother's B. smithi and his G. Rosea; been caring for them for the last 2 weeks)
    · Newt
    · Corn snake

My Ideal but probably non existent 2nd T:
    · A (confident) step up
    · heavy Webbing would be cool
    · room temp.
    · Humidity is negotiable but obviously I'd prefer dry substrate if I can get it
    · size>4inches med-fast grower
    · Maybe a little more on the rare side
    · I like striped knees, star-bursts, gold, green, red, not block colours (not GBB sry lol)

My own (terrible) ideas:
    · N. chromatus
    · A. seemani
    · X. immanis
    · P. chordatus
    · A. franki (not actually a tarantula I know)
    · C. fasciatum
    · P. cambridgei
    · M. balfouri

I know that some of these seem too much of a step up for someone's second T, with being in the hobby for 8 months however I am fairly confident in my abilities and I am quite careful, respectful and deliberate in my movements. Also I have a limit set on me as to how many T's I can have as I'll be going to uni next year so I can't have a wholesome collection of each "skill level" of Tarantula unfortunately. I am going to be trying to gain experience from the extended lengths of time (next 4-5 years ) I have between each step instead of getting lots of inbetweeny T's to move me up though plus I'll be starting with them as spiderlings. Whatever the case I'm sure there will be some criticism and controversy about this but I'm prepared for that

Please, please help me, I've been spending every free second of the last 3 months trying to figure this out, I'm on the brink of insanity and it is seriously affecting my ability to do my college homework
    Last edited by Tristan John Canterbury; 02-02-15, 06:36 PM.

My own (terrible) ideas:

· N. chromatus . . . . . . usually nervous and flicky
    · A. seemani . . . . . . . Not the most well mannered
    · X. immanis . . . . . . . . nervous, flicky and fast . .not for the beginner
    · P. chordatus . . . . . . . Defensive but a webber
    · A. franki (not actually a tarantula I know) . . . Never kept one so cant answer
    · C. fasciatum . . . . . . . (now Davus pentaloris) . . . Small, nervous, a webber
    · P. cambridgei . . . . . . Get big, FAST but rarely seen as much as a terrestrial
    · M. balfouri . . . . . . . . Heavy webber but rarely seen, fairly slow grower

Have you thought of Chilobrachys fimbriatus, Pterinochilus marshalli, Pterinochilus darlingi or Pterinochilus murinus (OBT) ?

All web heavily and have an attitude and if set up right will be on show most of the time.

For a purely showy type of tarantula how about Acanthoscurria geniculata or Lasiodora parahybana ?

Comment

Thank you very much, Chilobrachys fimbriatus certainly intrigues me some extra info on that would be appreciated or perhaps you could link me to an accurate care sheet ^_^ . So which would be your vote out of my ideas?
      as for the others out of the pterinochili my favourite is chordatus, plus the horned ones look silly, OBT would be just behind chordatus as I slightly prefer the chordatus's subtlety. Then I prefer N. chromatus to the A. geniculata and My mum doesn't like the look of the salmon pink birdeater :P (She doesn't like pure/near-pure black things for some reason, she can stomach a tarantula but not a harmless black millipede XD)

Comment

Some seem to be saying the C. fimbriatus can be a bit of a pet hole though?

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan John Canterbury View Post
          Some seem to be saying the C. fimbriatus can be a bit of a pet hole though?

That will depend entirely on your set up

Comment

Thank you very much, Chilobrachys fimbriatus certainly intrigues me some extra info on that would be appreciated or perhaps you could link me to an accurate care sheet ^_^
            I really cant see the fixation that people have on care sheets . . . Read this > > > http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/Caresheets.html

ps. Just keep it slightly damp as a sling . . . and slightly damp as an adult . . . and thats it

munching on her boyfriend

. So which would be your vote out of my ideas?
            I've got or had them all except for A franki but if i had to pick one it would be X immanis

as for the others out of the pterinochilus my favourite is chordatus, plus the horned ones look silly, OBT would be just behind chordatus as I slightly prefer the chordatus's subtlety.
            What about P murinus TCF rather than the OCF ? A much subtle colour I think

Then I prefer N. chromatus to the A. geniculata
            Weirdo !!!

My AF geniculata's moult on top of a coke can

With her boyfriend (the sides of the tub are 6" high

My mum doesn't like the look of the salmon pink birdeater :P (She doesn't like pure/near-pure black things for some reason, she can stomach a tarantula but not a harmless black millipede XD)

So who is keeping the spiders you or her ?

Comment

But I'm guessing the C. fim will need a heat mat in the winter at least?

I suppose the TCF Is a little better but still.. why don't you like the chordatus?

I like the nhandu's posture and proportions plus the colours are more pronounced and the tan-white carapace and the leg pattern's better. It just looks more awesome in my opinion

I'm keeping the spiders but it's her house so I have to fight to get any tarantulas let alone one she hates the site of, plus I don't find it particularly pretty either compares to the others tbh :P

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why did you say "not a GBB"?
                Have a good time all the time

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Beynon - Jones View Post
                  Just out of curiosity, why did you say "not a GBB"?
                  I don't really have a good reason for why not but I know I am uninterested for some reason :P not my most rational thoughts I admit but for some reason despite it's good looks and ease of care etc I remain uninspired by it :/

Comment

Perhaps you need to see one in the flesh Also perhaps because everybody goes on about them it's sort of a turn off due to overhype... I get a bit like that with anything that is hyped up, it just puts me off.

However - The spider that fits the bill for what you are looking for is, in my opinion, a GBB, hence why I wondered....

They are colourful, active, great webbers, great feeders, and you can set up fantastic display enclosures for them. If you avoid the generic bit of cork, and opt for something a little more 3 dimensional using twigs, branches etc. you will end up with a beautiful enclosure to look at regardless of the spider being in it, that will become intricately webbed up, and will happen to contain a stunning jewel with 8 legs

Comment

This was just after a couple of weeks of webbing....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
                        That will depend entirely on your set up
                        I'm very interested in what you say Peter. Does it mean you can keep a Chilobrachys sp. without a deep substrate turning her in a pet hole? I'm asking because I have two juveniles C sp. south vietnam blue, and I would be happy to give them something else than the deep deep substrate they have (and like, they spend all their times underground). Does it work for yours? How do you monitor humidity?

Thanks a lot (I know this isn't the subject of the thread, but...)

Tristan, I completely agree with Adam about GBB for the same reasons. In your list, I'd vote for Xenesthis immanis (mine is rather calm) or a Psalmopoeus (irminia gets my vote!).
                        Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

The GBB follows me everywhere :'( Ok I think I'm seeing the light with it now, I was curious though whether I should get multiple T's seeing as they're only 1 cm spiderlings for now. How about a GBB plus a Nhandu?

Comment

actually It looks like I'm going to buy a C. fimbriatus or a M. balfouri plus the chromatus instead. Which out of the balfouri and the fimbriatus would you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Charrière View Post
                              Does it mean you can keep a Chilobrachys sp. without a deep substrate turning her in a pet hole? I'm asking because I have two juveniles C sp. south vietnam blue, and I would be happy to give them something else than the deep deep substrate they have (and like, they spend all their times underground).

Just provide them with 1-2 inches of substrate and strategically placed twigs. As they will not have a deep substrate to build a burrow, they will make their web tunnels instead.

Does it work for yours?

Yes, check the photo above of the fimbriatus

How do you monitor humidity?

Thats very simple . . . . . . . . You dont.
                              I have never measured humidity for any sized spider because there is no need.
                              Ignore the rubbish written on the so called caresheets, just keep the substrate damp for the slings by pouring water directly into the substrate. Its that simple.
                              Dont forget that the average household has a ambient humidity of 40-50% so that by having slightly damp substrate this will push it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X