Chilean Rose bad moult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilean Rose bad moult

Hi. My mature Chilean Rose had a bad moult seven days ago - lost a leg and another one of the legs looks a bit thin at the bottom, definitely not normal. The main problem was when I fed her today. She went up on her back legs into the attack stance but eventually rolled all the way over onto her back. She took the cricket but could not get up again. She just laid there on her back with the cricket in her fangs until I lifted her back up again, but she dropped the cricket as I did this. Seems as though she's lost a lot of power/use of some of the legs. She does walk around though. Has anybody had the same experience or any advice you can give?
    Many thanks.

Firstly, I would suggest that it is a little soon to be offering prey, particularly as the moulting process has not gone smoothly. I would give it more time to harden up and recover.

I haven't ever had a spider lose legs from a bad moult, but if faced with your situation, I would leave it completely alone for a good while - the leg that does not seem to have expanded properly may be pulled off by the spider anyway. I would wait and see what transpires, whilst making sure the spider has access to water.
    Have a good time all the time

Comment

Thanks, Adam. Will do what you say and see what happens.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Will give it a go.

Comment

justin one of my t's lost a leg through a molt. she,s absolutely fine and the leg will regrow and probably be back to normal after a few molts the chilli rose is a hardy spider im sure she,ll be fine. i normally give my t's at least 2 weeks 14 days to recover from a molt before i try to offer a food item hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Vincent. Thanks for the advice and info. It does put my mind at rest.

Comment

Working...
            X