Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.Smithi mating problems

Hi guys,
    I haven't posted a thread for a while but need some advice.

I am attempting to mate my B-Smithi . One male three Females, all Adults.

I have had one successful mating with Insertion, tried with other females, the Male makes contact with Female but does a runner!!

Tried numerous attempts but he is not interested.

Sperm webs have been constructed .

Thanks Rob.

Try, try, try again until you succeed

I have 3 AF's and 2 of those took over 10 attempts each (11 & 14) before they actually did the deed

Comment

Same as when you want to seduce a beautiful woman: keep tryin'! (I'm joking... maybe for an unknown reason according to our human ideas, your male doesn't find the two other females at his taste... too plump, too skinny, who knows! )

Ok, jokes asides, I with a friend had to try several times with our X immanis until something (we hope!) happens...

I don't know, but maybe temperature could be an issue, if it's too low in our frosty winter...?
      Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Thanks Peter for your comments, you have helped to ease my concerns with the male.....

Comment

Temperature could be an issue, my spiders are housed in a cabinet with correct temperature in my loft, then removed placed onto the floor for safety reasons. It would be cooler there, will check the temperature at that level. cheers.

I don't know, but maybe temperature could be an issue, if it's too low in our frosty winter...?[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Pearson View Post
            my spiders are housed in a cabinet with correct temperature in my loft,

A possibly silly question . . . . but . . . . correct according to who ?

You, an online care sheet or the spiders themselves ?

Originally posted by Robin Pearson View Post
            then removed placed onto the floor for safety reasons.

Safety ?? Perhaps it the actual act of moving the female from the home she knows to somewhere else that she doesnt that has put her off of mating.

Just think about it.
            If the mrs was up for some loving in her home but was suddenly dragged outside to the local park, do you think that she would be happy about it or do you think that she would be totally pissed off ?

Rather than thinking on what YOU think is the easiest or best for you, how about thinking on what might be best from the female from her point of view.
            In the wild the female stays in her burrow and the male enters her burrow to mate, she doesnt wander away from her burrow to a strange area to find a mate.

Comment

Sorry I did not explain correctly...

I do not literally remove spiders from their enclosure.
              I have got them in a vivarium with a divide and they have lived like this for a few days before mating. I place the Vivarium on the floor for at least an hour and then remove the divide. Sometimes I am sitting in the dark for 2 hours or so.....

Comment

How long since the females last moult ?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
                  How long since the females last moult ?
                  7year old moulted 6 months ago. mm done the deed with her
                  6year old moulted 5 months ago. mm not interested in her at the moment
                  6year old moulted 8 months ago. tried once mm not interested.

Was hoping mm to moult September time, as I believe in the wild this is a good time for the females going into the wet season,( could be wrong.)
                  mm took a bit longer, 6 months to the final moult he moulted 10/1/15.

Comment

Fourth attempt tonight, near success, both interested.
                    He drummed away and played about with her. unfortunately he was not in good position and fell onto her, freaked each other out.
                    Will try again in a couple of days.
                    looking good though.
                    I think temperature issue helped, thanks for that Nicolas.

Comment

Working...
                    X