Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Recan Zebra burrow?

Hi
    i have recently ordered a Costa Recan Zebra and was just wondering whether this is a burrowing species or not? i have read in a few places that they are but alot of pictures just show them in a normal terrestrial set up.
    any opinions or experiences would be welcomed
    Thanks
    Joe

Hi there.

Aphonopelma seemanni are indeed a burrowing species and are found in very deep burrows in the wild. Like all tarantulas, they are opportunists though and may also sometimes be found simply under rocks etc.

In captivity, many keepers seem to give this species no burrowing potential at all. Personally, I would be more inclined to give them as much burrowing substrate as possible.
    Michael Jacobi's book, "Tarantulas" published by Animal Planet is a great resource and has a small section (half a page or so) on the species. He explains that all Aphonopelma are obligate burrowers.
    I hope that helps.
    Phil. (British Tarantula Society Membership Administrator)

Comment

As per Phil, absolutely obligate burrowers.

But i wouldn't push them into the opportunist category like with many other burrowers - i've seen plenty of A.seemanni in the wild and always in obligate burrows. In fact the burrows have distinct circular openings, that when finding a tarantula burrow in their range (Pacific lowland dryzone of Costa Rica to Honduras), if it's got a really round opening, then chances are good that it's A.seemanni.

As Phil rightly said, naturally their burrows can be deep, often easily more than a meter for adults. In captivity few are given such options to burrow - and often cope just fine - although i think anyone would be greatly challenged to breed them like that. I've seen little to no captive breeding happening - could this be a major factor? However, just for keeping - the animals will be healthy without a burrow if given other adequate care. Naturally the burrow protects from predators (shouldn't be a problem in captivity!) but also allows the animals a cooler and more humid retreat - most places they live can get extremely hot and dry at the surface, but 1 meter below ground is nice cool, damper and safe.

I've got a few photos of wild A.seemani and several other species here:
      Tarantulas (fm Theraphosidae), Eastern and Northern Honduras. Fieldwork in: June-Aug 2011. by Dr. Stuart Longhorn Several of these were found while doing a survey of arachnids in Cusuco National Park, with Operation Wallacea. I think here's possibly more than the three reported species for the entire country. Lots of pics of REAL Citharacanthus sp, unlike when you do google searches and just find pictures of Phormictopus sp sold as 'Citharacanthus spinicrus' .

Unexcavated

excavated

Another similar 'tickled' (using that stick) to the entrance of the burrow for a photo
      British Tarantula Society
      My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Thank you for the replies!
        I have given her about 10 inches of substrate, and a cave for if she doesnt want to burrow so she has the option.
        Thanks again!
        Joe

Comment

Working...
        X