Tarantulas to Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarantulas to Europe

Hello all, would I need any paperwork or certificates or licences to take my 3 tarantulas to Spain from the UK ? They are G rosea/porteri, G pulchra and G pulchripes. Thanks.

Do you mean take them on a plane in your luggage?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Harper View Post
      Do you mean take them on a plane in your luggage?
      No Richard, ferry to either Spain or France then drive. Sorry didn't include how.

Comment

I'm from to Spain,

the best way to introduce animals is illegal, I received spiders from UK smoothly by domestic mail.

Would otherwise arranging the papers for the international pet trade, but it is probably an expensive and slow process.

Good luck.

Comment

Hello there.

This made me curious so i went and checked gov website and the defra info on it and this is what i found:

There is nothing on import or export within the EU that i can find (though this is the result of about 5 minutes googling). The regulations are more concerned with livestock than anything else (big surprise there huh).

It can only be a maximum of 5 apparently:

Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 (as amended) sets out the rules for importing pet animals. This Regulation only permits 5 animals per person to be imported as pets from countries outside the EU. If you wish to bring in more than 5 animals you will need to meet the requirements for commercial imports (see IIN/BLLV/9).
          Also this, which is a bit unclear. This is the international trade document but it mentions EU trade. Inverts are apparently prohibited but bees are sometimes imported and exported for various reasons. Who knows huh. Welcome to the exciting world of EU regulations *groan*. I suspect its more of an issue for animals coming into the UK than out. Spain might have their own restrictions in regards to this, but the eurozone may well be on your side.

Invertebrates are animals that do not have a backbone, e.g. ants, beetles and worms. There are no animal health import requirements for pet invertebrates. These animals can be brought into the UK as long as they are accompanied by their owner and a letter from a vet or the owner saying that the animals are fit and healthy to complete the journey.

However, many invertebrates have the potential to be serious plant pests in Europe and are therefore prohibited under plant health rules.
          I imagine this is something that is somewhat ignored though, as I'm sure anyone on here will tell you that inverts are frequently sent via the mail. Though i could understand why you might be hesitant to do this, I would be as well if it was an animal I was attached to. It seems to me that a letter from a vet would what you'll need to take your animals through customs if you didn't want to mail them over. I could recommend a few vets that actually know of spiders and aren't clueless.

This is all just my own research on the issue though, so by no means am i an authority or anything.

Yay regulations!

Comment

Working...
          X