Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Dish Help

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone can help, everyday my GBBs water dish is empty I pressume due to evaporation. My concern is I am going away for a break soon (around 4 days) and although Ts don't drink that much what should I do about keeping it full while I am away? I can fill it the second I walk out the door but would worry when I am gone because it will be empty the rest of the time...I also have no one who would come in and fill it up for me as everyone I know either don't like my Ts or I don't trust them to deal with them at all for very good reasons.

Any help will be greatly appreciated & apologies I tried searching and couldn't find a specific thread for this.

Originally posted by Mhairi Flynn View Post
    Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone can help, everyday my GBBs water dish is empty I pressume due to evaporation. My concern is I am going away for a break soon (around 4 days) and although Ts don't drink that much what should I do about keeping it full while I am away? I can fill it the second I walk out the door but would worry when I am gone because it will be empty the rest of the time...I also have no one who would come in and fill it up for me as everyone I know either don't like my Ts or I don't trust them to deal with them at all for very good reasons.

Any help will be greatly appreciated & apologies I tried searching and couldn't find a specific thread for this.

OMG !!!! A whole FOUR days without water

Sorry, couldnt resist

I have a few GBB's (I think around 22-24 ? ) that i kept back from a breeding and NONE of them has EVER seen water and my 2 AF's only ever see water when it is poured into the substrate when I condition them for breeding.

Unless you live in an extremely hot place like in a desert or dry scrubland (the same place that GBB's come from !) the water is unlikely to evaporate in a single day. What is probably happening is that there is a few strands of silk that is 'wicking' away the water into the substrate.

I have many dozens of spiders of all ages, sizes and species that do not have a water bowl and ive never had one yet die through dehydration.

Just fill as normal and forget about it until you come back from your break.
    When i go away for the annual holiday for 2-3 weeks I dont do anything different apart from slightly wetting the smaller slings substrate the day before i go.
    No water . . . no extra feeding . . . No nothing . . . If I'm working extra hours or extra days, they dont get any special attention either, all that means is they dont get fed for a few months . . . . its no big deal for them.

Stop panicking and enjoy your break

This a short video showing GBB's natural habitat, unfortunately it is in German but take a good look at the surroundings and see why you shouldnt worry . > > > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Yg6xEwo8I
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 02-04-15, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Hi Peter

Thank you so much for your response and help it is really appreciated and I also feel a lot better about the whole thing watched the video and took a lot from it so thank you, it is very dry out there I have attached a picture of my GBB and I think it is in premolt due to the famous bald spot and it has hidden in its cocodome since I got it last week

wow you have a lot of GBBs that is awesome thanks again for your help
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mhairi Flynn View Post
        I have attached a picture of my GBB and I think it is in premolt due to the famous bald spot

I cant see any bald patch, all i can see is a reflective area made by type III urticating hairs AKA mirror patch.

A bald area on a tarantulas abdomen has absolutely nothing at all to do with premoult or moulting, it has been made because the spider has been stressed out for some reason and has kicked the hairs in an attempt to deter whatever has bothered it or the spider has kicked off hairs to line its webbing to repel predators.

Maybe this will help you ? . . > > > . . . http://www.scielo.br/pdf/zool/v30n4/v30n4a06.pdf

Comment

Wow that is interesting to know, just when I thought I knew it all he did flick alot of hairs when I was unpacking him last week the poor little guy! Now he has been in his hide for the whole time I had him. Tried feeding today but no interest so far will wait another week. Thank you again for your time and valuable knowledge

Comment

Working...
          X