Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B. boehmei white deposit on fangs

Hi all,

This may not be good news I'm afraid. I have a 3.5'' female boehmei and just noticed a small amount of white powdery deposit on her fangs and surrounding hairs. This must have appeared in the last couple of days. I know a picture would be useful, but it wouldn't come out. Under a 10x hand lens examined through the plastic tank wall, it looks like grains of white solid material, not moving. She is eating (just taken a cricket) and otherwise appears completely normal. I wonder if it could be the first sign of nematode infection - would she show signs of not eating and lethargic behaviour in conjunction with the white deposits? What symptom/s would appear first in a nematode infection?

We do live in a hard water area, so it's a possibility that it could be limescale if she has had a drink and her fangs have been wet when she finished (I know they don't drink through their fangs, but if she had her fangs submerged in water dish?). I know I should be giving them distilled water as our water is hard around here and will be doing now. I guess it could also be mites, but was put off this by the fact that they aren't moving. I've never had a problem with mites, but I suppose they could have come off the last cricket she ate?

Background info if it is helpful - I've had her just over a year, captive bred, no previous problems with her at all. Kept dry substrate with water dish. I've moved her to a different room (lucky it's summer as usually the rest of the house is too cold!) and taken tweezers I used to get her water dish out of commission.

Has anyone any thoughts other than limescale deposits, mites or nematode infection?

Thanks,

J

Hi,

Just a quick update in case anyone was interested(?). The white deposits disappeared after she ate, I suspect it was limescale. She has been fine since, completely normal behaviour and eating well.

Thanks,

J

Comment

Hey, we (at least I) are interested!

But unfortunately, I wasn't able to give you any smart advice on this... Cool that everything turned fine.
      Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Thanks Nicolas - I'm so glad everything was fine too, she is one of my favourite T's!

Comment

Working...
        X