Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with B smithi

Hi all,

Looking for some reassurance. I purchased a juvenile B. Smithi a few months ago (body length about 4.5cm). When I first bought him he was eating fine, yet now hasn't taken any food for about 6 weeks. I know this would not be a worry for an adult T., but was wondering whether this was normal for such a young spider. Could he be in pre-moult? The bald spot on his abdomen has not turned black yet, but I've got no idea how long they can go off eating before the bald spot turns black. Any advice greatly received.

Thanks,

Paul

No need to worry yet. The Brachypelma genus has a reputation of going on long fasting sessions without warning. As long as it's well fed and the abdomen is still nice and fat, just make sure it has access to water and it should be fine. You mention that the bald patch hasn't turned black yet, this happens only shortly before the actual molt, so it might turn dark soon. Keep trying to feed and remove uneaten feeders within 24 hours.

Comment

+ 1 to everything Deon said. Absolutely normal for a 4.5 cm BL B smithi to spend more than six weeks fasting before a molt. Keep us informed when she'll molt!
      Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Will do. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Larke View Post
          juvenile B. Smithi a few months ago (body length about 4.5cm). When I first bought him he was eating fine, yet now hasn't taken any food for about 6 weeks. I know this would not be a worry for an adult T., but was wondering whether this was normal for such a young spider.
          How often are you feeding it ? Perhaps you've fed it enough that it doesnt need feeding for a few months ?

I usually feed my Brachy slings and juvies once a month and the adults when i remember, which is usually once every 2-3 months

Could he be in pre-moult?
          . . . . or just not hungry.

I've got no idea how long they can go off eating before the bald spot turns black.
          That all depends on the spider . . . anywhere from a few weeks or several months

For now I wouldnt feed it for at least a month.
          Try it again at the end of August, if it doesnt immediately grab the cricket/roach them remove it straight away and try again at the end of September and after that nothing until it moults which could be several months away

Comment

Working...
          X