X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black crickets

Hi all.

I realise this is a T forum, but I'm guessing you are all food experts too

Cant get a T ATM, so for reasons that highlight how strange my mind can be I thought I'd get some crickets. They seem good intermediary pets, exotic enough they will be interesting, but they won't survive long no matter the quality of my care, so not a huge responsibility.

Anyway, I got black crickets and they are in the large terra box I was going to put a T in (until I decided to go glass).

The ground to the lid is nearly 6 inch, and I've watched them patiently and they can't climb for diddly, so I'm hoping they are secure even if they can squeeze through the air slits. I know they can leap tall buildings, but if they have no grip they can leap all they like (I hope!).

I'm just after a little reassurance, if they breed will the babies be any better at climbing? And if they DID get out, will my house be destroyed by a swarm of locu-crickets? Basically should I be less lacksidaisical about it all, or would escapees small enough to slip through the thin slits not even last to breeding age?

You can see why a T was a bit daunting to me, I'm very paranoid! That said, my snakes have escaped once in 20 years, and that was long ago when I was 15 and dim.

Thanks all!

Originally posted by Rickie Lowery View Post

The ground to the lid is nearly 6 inch,
    Not high enough as they can and will jump that high and you will find them clinging to the vents/lid

if they breed will the babies be any better at climbing?
    Only if the sides are rough or have places that have cricket poop stuck to it and then the pinheads will be able to climb up

And if they DID get out, will my house be destroyed by a swarm of locu-crickets ?
    They can chew but you will be more annoyed with the incessant chirping

Basically should I be less lackadaisical about it all, or would escapees small enough to slip through the thin slits not even last to breeding age?
    Why be lackadaisical about anything ? The very small crickets (pinheads) are fairly delicate and will die if not kept damp

You can see why a T was a bit daunting to me
    Nope cant see why a T is daunting at all, especially if a very few basic guidelines are followed

my snakes have escaped once in 20 years, and that was long ago when I was 15 and dim.
    Crickets and tarantulas are very different to snakes

Comment

Hi there,
      I keep mine in a 9 inch by 12inch high container with some small egg boxes & they don't get on to the lid! I think that baby crickets can climb on smooth surfaces. View you tube video on breeding crickets & they will give you all the information you need about them. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by James Lockhart View Post
        Hi there,
        I keep mine in a 9 inch by 12inch high container with some small egg boxes & they don't get on to the lid! I think that baby crickets can climb on smooth surfaces. View you tube video on breeding crickets & they will give you all the information you need about them. Good luck
        Thanks, tbh I have upgraded them to the glass tank now as it's easier and gives them more space. Only the truly tiny will get out, and I've found countless sites since posting that say nothing that escapes will survive and there is next to zero chance of them breeding.

i just didn't want a house full of crickets if a few got out

Comment

Working...
        X