Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stirmi or Blondi?

Hi,

I'd like to get people's opinion on this please.

I've just bought it and it 5-6 inches. Not confirmed the sex yet.

gonna try and get some better pictures soon.

Cheers.
    Attached Files

The pics are not good enough to ID either way.

A close up of the front legs, side view is the easiest way to tell the difference between the species

How much did you pay ? From a shop or private sale ?

Comment

If it has long hairs on the patellas (= knees), it's blondi. If it has short hairs, it's stirmi.

Attached Files
      Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Are these pictures clear enough?

I bought it from a shop as a Theraphosa Stirmi for £40. It was just the fact the hair on the patella has made me unsure.

thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

Comment

It seems to me you have a true T blondi. Not 100% sure though, but according to your pictures, that's what I'm able to see...

Comment

Thanks for both of your input. These references are great. It has really helped.

Thats what I have started to think Nicolas but I am not so confident at identifying the difference between the two.

What are your thoughts Peter if you had to say one or the other?

Many thanks.

Comment

Unfortunate your photos dont show the area needed for a positive ID

Ideally a photo clearly showing the first leg and the hairs . .or lack of, under the femur would be idea

If i had to take a guess, I would say T blondi . . but with reservations

Comment

I think it actually might be a Pamphobeteus sp.
                  How much do we really know about tarantulas?
                  P.S. Sorry for my deficient english...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
                    Unfortunate your photos dont show the area needed for a positive ID

Ideally a photo clearly showing the first leg and the hairs . .or lack of, under the femur would be idea

If i had to take a guess, I would say T blondi . . but with reservations
                    Are these any better?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John-Henry Dickinson View Post
                      Are these any better?
                      er . . . . nope

You will need a pic like the 1st pic below

These are 2 of my sub female blondi

Look at the amount of hair under the femurs and the general 'hairiness'

Comment

I'm still not too sure if it's a Stirmi or Blondi.

I'll have to try and get some clearer pictures. Failing that I suppose Ill have to wait for a couple of moults and see if it becomes clearer to identify.

At the minute I think I've either got a hairy Stirmi or a bit of a bald Blondi!

Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry to revisit this subject but after it niggling at my brain for a couple of weeks I've decided to look at it again.

After looking at the specimen a bit more and looking at more photos on the internet I think it might me be a Pamphobeteus Sp. I own a P.Platyomma female and it has a similar pattern behind the eyes that you can see in the first photos I put up on this thread.

Also I have only just noticed Alonso's comment on the same thing.

Anyone's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

To be honest, I was asking myself the same question. The pattern on the prosoma could be one of Pamphobeteus spp. If you want to be sure, one way could be to check on the spermatheca next time it molts: there are obvious differences between Pamphobeteus spp. and Theraphosa spp. spermatheca. You can easily find the pictures on the net, and if you need help about how to find the spermatheca, there's a good thread on this forum about that.

Keep us informed of what you find out!

Comment

After looking at it more I think it was a Pamphobeteus Sp., possibly a Platyomma, but definitely not a Theraphosa of any kind.

I took it back to the shop and they exchanged it without any questions and told me to take my pick of any Stirmi that they had. Very good of them I thought.

Attached is a picture of what I replaced it with. No doubting it this time I think.

Thanks for all your inputs.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X