Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peat Substrate - What alternative 'soils' have you found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peat Substrate - What alternative 'soils' have you found?

I popped into my local B&Q today to pick up some 100% peat for changing/cleaning some of my tanks substrates.

Now this is not a question as to other types of substrate as that is always a hotly debated subject and to be honest, I am more than happy with using peat/vermiculite mix and have done so for an awful long time.

However, on the back of the pack, B&Q have mentioned about eventually stopping the use of peat products due to environment damage and I must admit I agree with them. I've also noticed that it is becoming increasingly harder to find.

My question is, has anyone used any other sort of soil product successfully? for instance a potting compost, that you have found as good as peat but does not contain harmful additives?

I looked around the garden centre for potential alternatives and all of the normal mixes advertised 'containing plant nutrients' which I took to mean artificial fertilizers, I believe these can be harmful to T's.

You comments would be welcomed from your own experiences.

Thanks for looking!

I use just vermiculite for non diggers and a vermiculite and sand mix for those that do dig.
    None of my spiders had any problems adapting and consequently I have not seen a single mite in the last 5 years

Ian

Comment

Thanks for your reply Ian, that's interesting.

A few questions if you don't mind:

1) - What type of sand do you use
      2) - What type of mix percentage with the vermiculite
      3) - How do you find it holds humidity?

Howard

Comment

I've been using ordinary peat-free potting compost for as long as I've kept spiders, but that's not very long (almost a year!) so that doesn't prove much. However, I'm sure other people use ordinarly potting compost and don't have problems.

I'd be surprised if small amounts of fertiliser in the compost are harmful to spiders, since I've never noticed it harming either my spiders, or any of the large and varied invertebrate fauna that seems to find its way into the compost with my pot plants, and I give them fertiliser regularly. It may possibly cause increased mould growth for a brief period, but there are ways around that, like keeping it dry, or if it's moist then adding woodlice which eat the mould.

Comment

we use a standard non additive potting compost with virumite mix which seems to work well, we change the mix percent depending on the type of trantula and its needs.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Sarah, where do you get that from and do you have a brand name for it?

Cheers,

Howard

Comment

It's standard Wilkinsons Potting Compost
              And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Hi huk7;

I'm relatively new to the hobby, but I have found that www.faunology.co.uk provide a decent substrate that they market as their own 'Jungle Bed'. It contains peat, sphagnum moss, orchid bark etc.

However, it's pretty expensive at £9 for 10 litres
                Arachnophiles & Forum!

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies guys and gals!!

It certainley gives me something to think about and chase up.

Big_Loader - Try www.livefoods.co.uk they are selling the same stuff for £4.00 a block where you add a gallon of hot water. I may try this in the first instance but also keep a look out when I get to my local Wilko's

Howard

Comment

I use a course grained sand. I flush it thoroughly and heat it in the oven to be certain it is clean. Tarantulas do not get on with fine grained sand.
                    I mix it with a combination of course and fine grained vermiculite. Try it, you will know it is the right ratio when it clumps together and can be shaped. It holds moisture very well, but you do need to keep your eye on it, as when it does dry out it is quite sudden.
                    The only downside is it is very, very heavy and makes moving large tanks around a bit of a bind.
                    It seems to be most popular with my African species. A smattering of bark chips on top can help make it look natural as well.
                    I have also had success with pre dug tunnels in flower arranging blocks surrounded with vermiculite. I have a King Baboon that has been living very happily in such an arrangement for the last few years.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                    X