Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spiderling care

I have been following the following advice while caring for my slings:

Of primary importance is recognizing that spiderlings are indeed babies. They need to eat. . . and eat a lot. Wingless fruit flies (for very tiny babies), little "pinhead" crickets, termites, and little mealworms are acceptable for newborn tarantulas. You can progressively graduate to larger cricket sizes as the spider grows. What's most important is that your spiderling needs to be able to find its food easily. If you place your spiderling in a large enclosure with the notion that it will be happy with room to roam as it "grows into" its container, you're doing your new darling a disservice. Like human babies have cribs, spider babies need a small, safe place where they do little but eat, rest, and grow.

While this advice does not seem to be harming the little dears I would really like some other T keepers opinions on this advice and on when they should start to be weaned onto junvinile feeding pattern and what the best next size home would be for them they are currently living in the film boxes they were sent to us in. For refenrance my slings are 3rd and 4th instar now and are chacos and redknees. Any halp and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Sarah,
    You are doing all the right things as far as I can see, I just wait for mine to moult a couple of times before moving them to bigger containers. In my experience Grammastola and Brachypelma are slow growing so they will be in there for a while.
    Mary
    spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

I moved mine into Jam Jars, with the vermiculite at varying depths depending on how prone they are to tunnelling,

my H. Gigas has pretty much excavated a whole floor to roam around on under surface level,

the Parahybana and Smithi are both doing well in Jam jars as well as a good move up from film tubs, i've also noticed that if they are actually hungry rather than just willing to eat a passing snack they will roam more in the search for food, but i agree with not presenting them with too much space

Comment

Damm thats worrying I hope I not over feeding as my chaco's are on their 3rd moults since I got them earlyer this year well 2 of them are. The redknees are on their second but I have a feeling the little buggers will moult soon would jam jars be an approprite home for slings of about 1inch total lenght or should I wait till they hit 1inch leg span?

Comment

Working...
        X