Is this an egg-sac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an egg-sac?

I'm posting these pictures on behalf of a friend. She bought a supposedly captive bred chile rose from a pet shop in Chicago. From what i was told, she's about 5" legspan.

Yesterday they called me because they were worried she was about to moult. She'd webbed herself into her retreat and wasn't doing a great deal in there. I allayed their fears, saying that it was perfectly normal and all that, and they seemed fine.

However today, it seems she's laid an eggsac! If she's captive bred, she should never have seen a male in her life!

I'll put in some pics now to see what you think.

I just realised i put in lots of stuff about her only being 3" legspan, turns out my friends were measuring incorrectly, and she's more like 5". Doesn't look like that much of a mystery now. Wild caught and pregnant

Thanks

Neil
    And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

yep got yourself a nice little egg sac there

Visit my web site @ http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk

Comment

Not my spider, and after they worked out the real legspan of 5", not the 2.5" they'd previously given me, i realised it was blatently an eggsac.

Also means their pet shop lied to them about it being captive bred as well.
      And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

[quote=Also means their pet shop lied to them about it being captive bred as well.[/quote]

Not neccessarily. Unmated spiders are known to produce infertile eggsacs from time to time.
        You're going to have to wait a while to know one way or the other.

Comment

That is true, but i think it's far more likely that it's a wild caught chile. Have to see in a month or so when it hatches

Comment

Hi .

It is possible that she has produced an infertile eggsac or on the other hand the pet shop may have bought it from someone who claimed it was captive bred and then sold it on in good faith. Keep us informed.

Good luck
            Ray Hale
            British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
            The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
            On
            [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

I will do. This is her first spider though, she's only had it for about a month, so could be hard going if she runs into any difficulties with the sac.

She decided she was just going to leave it to mum to deal with. Should mum be fed so that she doesn't eat the sac? or would crickets freak her out?

Comment

honey from the reading I did on this offering 1 cricket once a week and taking it out if she not eat it in 12 - 24 hours is reconmended. Dont want the cricket freaking her out and getting her to eat the sac so needs to come out fast i guess.that and keeping her water bowl full is all the disturbance they should have. But would be good to see if thats how others do it.

Comment

I didnt feed our aureo female when she had a sac or our Avic. Dif keepers do things differently tho. Its what I was reccomended to do.
                  x

Comment

IMe I feed attempt to feed tehm after 4 weeks if there going to take food I would guess they would by then.

my genic has been sitting on a sac for 5 weeks and she just ate 5 crickets then went back to rolling her sac with no problems.

Visit my web site @ http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk

Comment

Okay, she's going to not feed at all, unless she sees the chile actively looking for food.

She called the pet shop again today, they claimed to have had that chile in their possession for almost 12 months.

I find that very unlikely to be honest

Comment

Working...
                      X