Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substrate for B. smithii??

Hi,

Situation: Have an adult B. smithii who moulted about 3 weeks ago. I am now planning to change her substrate as I have noticed mould on her cork bark shelter. I thought it would be best to change the substrate out as well, just to make sure any mould that went onto the substrate is taken care of.
    The smithii used to be on peat and vermiculite, but now I'd like to put her on something light-coloured so that she'd be a lot more visible? On her last substrate she just seemed to blend into the substrate sometimes....

Any suggestions?
    What do you keep *your smithii's on?

Thanks
    HitokiriSessha

I keep mine on peat / potting compost and have found as long as I keep up with tank maintianace and change the substrate from time to time I dont have any problems with mould and such. For better display of your smithi you could try doing a higher mix of vermiculite to peat or just vermiculite.

Comment

Were you keeping the tank moist at all? What is the ventilation like?

Comment

-

Have had my smithii since April and have only sprayed the tank very lightly once through the whole time i've had her.
        Lid is a plastic aquarium lid with holes covering 50% of the lid.

Comment

Not a B.Smithi, but i have a B.Klaasi that lives happily on a 75/25 potting compost / vermiculite mix. Doesn't get misted, just has the water bowl filled clumsily, so that some of hte substrate around the dish gets moistened.
          And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Working...
          X