Next step.....would be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next step.....would be?

Am selling my first tarantula in order to make room for a third.
    An adult female smithii. The ad is on the Bulletin Board if anyone is interested.
    The question is, what tarantula would be good for me next? I already have one acanthoscurria geniculata (which I have had no problem with) and have had B. albopilosum, smithii and G.rosea's in the past.
    Oh. And due to financial constraints (this time of year AGAIN!!) I can only house a terrestrial.

What would be a good step-up?

All comments appreciated
    HitokiriSessha

Hi!

Unfortunately you didn't mention whether you prefer e.g. special colorations or not. One possibility could be Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Easy to keep, quite cheap, looks good, webs a lot, can be seen very often. More terrestrial than arboreal => enclosure ~ 40x30x30 cm.

Regards,
    Uwe
    Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.

Comment

I can highly recommend the above.

Very attractive to look at (especially in the right light) and always on show. They make fabulous display tarantuals, attributed to their webbing addiction, are tolerant of almost any disturbance, and require little care. Just keep them warm and very dry but with a water dish.
      Arachnophiles & Forum!

Comment

one more vote for the chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, IMO a very interesting species that wou wont regreat your choice for sure.
        CedriKirdec

Kirdec Tarantula's

Comment

Yup, i got a pair of GBB's back in august. Can't believe i left it so long before getting one. Highly active (compared to most T's), i see mine out and about most evenings; hunting, webbing, shifting dirt.

They have the most ferocious appetites, never seem to refuse food.

I'll throw in another picture to help convince you

Juvenile Female, about 4" legspan.
          And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Holothele incei might be worth considering. Although they're small, they'll fill a tank with silk, have good adult coloration and will contrast nicely with your other species.

I've never kept Chromatopelma - often thought about it though, because juvenile and adult colour is so different (two T's for the price of one )

Richard

Comment

Hi!

Originally posted by Richard Gallon
              Holothele incei might be worth considering. Although they're small, they'll fill a tank with silk, have good adult coloration and will contrast nicely with your other species.
              Yep, those produce a lot of silk

Holothele incei sling ~1.5 cm BL

Regards,
              Uwe
              Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.

Comment

not sure exactly what you want in your next T but you could consider E. cyanognathus they also have great colouring as slings juviniles and adults and it changes at each stage. They are also intresting to watch as they are active tidying up their burrows as juviniles and adults and as slings tend to be out and about climbing every where. even as juviniles and adults you can often see them sitting at the top of their burrow or out and about hunting of an evining.

I have thrown in a exaple of a sub adult male for you.

Comment

How about L. parahybana? Always a good choice - if you have a little extra space, of course!
                  Guy...
                  www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Working...
                  X