Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarantulas + cold = ?

heya all, heres the situation

im living in Canada, Quebec, Sherbrooke exactly. somebady in British Colombia got a male "gigas, i know the crossbreeding problem with this genus" for my big girl, the problem : he lives very far from me and the weather is'nt very good ( about -3 degres celcius ).

we were thinking to 2 option
    - i've read somewhere ppl using heat pack (dont know what exactly) that we can put in the box, and you got to close very well the box soo that it stay warm.

another option was something called "west jet" a transport for animals soo the truck is hot ... duno exactly lol im not well informed. I only know its very expensive. soo its the last option we will take I think if its possible

MY QUESTION; Is it possible to ship a Hysterocrate gigas that has to resist to cold at least 2 days

and if yes whats the best way to do it .
    CedriKirdec

Kirdec Tarantula's

I dount many people here will be able to comment on your question as most of us dont live over there.

however imo if it is going to be expensive to get them male sent to you imo I wouldn't bother as H giga are not exactly an expensive spider so if it;s gone cost loads to get a male i wouldnt bother. I would wait. There will be planty of mails available if you are prepered to wait. but it is winter and it most maile will mature round the summer time. It would ahve to be something rare for me to go through the hastle of paying loads to have it sent to me

Visit my web site @ http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk

Comment

Hi Kirdec!

- i've read somewhere ppl using heat pack (dont know what exactly) that we can put in the box, and you got to close very well the box soo that it stay warm.
      Yep, surrounding Styropor box like this (sorry for quality, been using webcam only) ...

... containing heatpack like >>> this <<<. Doesn't work too long, though. Maybe UPS (or whatever) overnight service could do?!

another option was something called "west jet" a transport for animals soo the truck is hot ... duno exactly lol im not well informed. I only know its very expensive. soo its the last option we will take I think if its possible
      I would prefer this method to shipping with Styro + Heatpack especially when postage takes 2+ days and temperatures are below 0° Celsius.
      Else I'd choose G Wright's method
      Originally posted by G Wright
      I would wait. There will be planty of mails available if you are prepered to wait. but it is winter and it most maile will mature round the summer time.
      Regards,
      Uwe
      Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.

Comment

Yes ... the problem, the poor guy is 3-4 month in its ultima molt, and the winter is just begining here! theres still for a couple of month's to wait.

instead of loosing this poor guy should we do a try with the heat pack.
        CedriKirdec

Kirdec Tarantula's

Comment

Adult male Hysterocrates live for ages. At least 18 months in most cases. I'm not sure how long they remain fertile, but if you are worried you could delay sending until spring. In all probability he will still be alive and well by then.
          Richard

Comment

Working...
          X