Ceratogyrus carapace comparaison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceratogyrus carapace comparaison

Heya all, I was looking at the carapace comparaison of this genus and I tought I would practice a little my ceratogyrus identification skill with my "darlingi". and to my eyes, it does'nt look like a darlingi but a bechuanicus because of the marking I would like to know what you think about it

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tarantula...Ceratogyrus.htm

CedriKirdec

Kirdec Tarantula's

Hi!

I'm not into baboon spiders this much so I'd recommend baboonspiders.de where you can also find identification keys up to species level.

Regards,
    Uwe
    Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.

Comment

Hi,
      Can you post a picture of the horn from the side It's not always easy to say from a dorsal view.

Was it from a wild-caught egg-sac or captive bred one?

Cheers,
      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gallon
        Hi,
        Can you post a picture of the horn from the side It's not always easy to say from a dorsal view.

Was it from a wild-caught egg-sac or captive bred one?

Cheers,
        Richard
        Unfortunatly I cnanot tell if its wild caugh or captive bred, I got it adult by somebady selling its collection!

sure I can take another picture, its terrarium is pretty small, i've to say i was'nt feeling really safe with my hand and camera playin at less then 1 inch of the unhappy little fella but everything went well, we see very well the horn.

Cricket view!
        CedriKirdec

Kirdec Tarantula's

Comment

Can you post a picture of the underside of the abdomen as well? Need to confirm the extent of the sub-abdominal band too.
          Cheers,
          Richard

Comment

yeah sure, not the best quality but ... kinda hard to make a good ventral shot of them

CedriKirdec

Kirdec Tarantula's

Comment

Leave it labelled as C. darlingi - for now (it closely resembles the original darlingi which entered the hobby ages ago).

Just make sure any males you use also have the single sub-abdominal band and you'll be ok

Cheers,
              Richard

Comment

why Richard ? is there any darlingi in the hobby with double abdomen band ? like the marshalli, meridionalis, sanderi ?
                CedriKirdec

Kirdec Tarantula's

Comment

No, it's just that some Ceratogyrus marshalli have horns which lean backwards, so you need to check the abdominal banding to make sure it isn't one of those. The marshalli and darlingi are often imported together unlabelled, so it's easy for a dealer just to name them by horn shape alone (without confirming the ID with the sub-abdominal band).

Cheers,
                  Richard

Comment

That reminds me to check on my newly arrived C.Darlingi as soon as i can to check for that single band.

Only picture i have of it yet.
                    And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Working...
                    X