Think I have female Chile Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I have female Chile Rose

I believe that my spider is about two and half years old, maybe 3 years old... It moulded about 4 weeks ago, and has taken a few adult locusts over the past weeks.
    Then last night I found it what appeared to be stuck with its abdomen wedged into a web.. and waving its front legs frantically in the arm.
    I used carefully a pair of tweezers to assist it free..
    Then after a short while noticed it back in the same position, but happying webbing from the inside, making what appears to be a small sac.
    I presume that it's a female having a phantom pregnancy.
    I have owned it for over a year and had 2 moults, so know that it's not mated.
    I left it alone this time, and watched.... About an hour of work, and webbing madly. Out it came,, and a sac was left behind.
    Today the sac has been flattened down, and damaged slightly.

Can you post a picture?
    It may be possible that you have a mature male and the silk was simply a sperm-web. See HERE for more info.
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Not sure how to post picture????????
      But was certinly almost upside down, like the pic's on giantspiders.com website...

Comment

For posting pictures on this forum, open a free picture hosting account (such as http://www.photobucket.com/ ), upload your pic's to your free account and then use that link to post your pic's onto this forum.

The quickest way to include a photo in your post is to copy the image url or img line (shown underneath your photobucket thumbnail) and paste it into the post using the [Img] tags .

I know, it sounds difficult but give it a try and see the benefits

But was certinly almost upside down, like the pic's on giantspiders.com website...
        Then it is probably a sperm web as tarantulas don't lay eggs upside down. Check for other male characteristics as described in the previous link (palpal bulbs, tibial hooks etc) to help you decide if it's a male.
        Guy...
        www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Working...
        X