p.ornata female almost burrowing!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p.ornata female almost burrowing!!!

hi i have a 4yr old female p.ornata who build her hideout against the side of the tank about 2inches into the peat.shes disguised it by having peat in her webbing.she has bark etc for her to web against but hasnt ever bothered.has anybody heard of this before?also wots the visual differences between grammostola cala and g.rosea?

It snot unusual for arboreals to disguise their webs with detritus. My P.ornata does the same. In the wild they will utilise what they have and can often be found living where you you just wouldnt expect. A few years ago A.Smith found a Brachypelma smithi living in a bush.

For the differences try our gallery or some of the other excellent sites.

like.............. giantspiders or the tarantula store

Ray
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

My Fasciata has dug down into her substrate too, packing it into her web to help hide it. I guess it's not uncommon.
      And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

G'day!

Originally posted by Ray Hale
        A few years ago A.Smith found a Brachypelma smithi living in a bush.
        I don't remember that one... Would you mind posting the reference if possible?

Regards,
        Uwe
        Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.

Comment

Didn't Rick West's article in the current journal include a Brachypelma Klaasi that had been found 10feet up in a tree?
          And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Buon giorno!

Originally posted by Neil Richardson
            Didn't Rick West's article in the current journal include a Brachypelma Klaasi that had been found 10feet up in a tree?
            My EndNote tells me you mean this one
            West, R. C. (2005). "The Brachypelma of Mexiko." Journal of the British Tarantula Society 20(4): 108-119.

Thanks for your help so far but I'd still like to know about Andrew's article and the B. smithi!

Regards,
            Uwe
            Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.

Comment

The Brachypelma smithi up a tree was photographed in Andrew Smith's book on North American tarantulas.

Grammostola cala & Grammostola rosea are the same species (at least in captivity and according to science).

The specimens sold as "G. cala" are just 'red colour forms' of G. rosea. So relabel them as "Grammostola rosea RCF".

I've heard rumours that the real G. cala is totally different, and not available in the hobby anyway. However this is based on unpublished data, so until a scientific paper appears regarding this species, it remains a junior synonym of G. rosea - despite what you might read on pricelists, other journals, websites etc...

Richard

Comment

Working...
              X