I dont have a T.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont have a T.....

but I love spiders, theyre fascinatiing creatures!

So is there a forum out there for spider lovers in general?
    I feel a bit of a cheat as I dont have a Tarantula, and am unlikely to get one
    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
    Ray Gabriel

Hi Larry,
    many tarantula keepers are interested in other types of spiders so your questions/observations are welcome on this forum - it's not exclusively about tarantulas.
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

here mate you will find what you searsh, if you dont know already

CedriKirdec

Kirdec Tarantula's

Comment

Thats good to know Guy, as theres bugger all out there on serious spider discussion apart from this site!

I'm glad you welcome all comers on here as I like to share my 8 legged experiences, and none of my mates share an interest in spiders beyond which are easiest to squash with a slipper!
        Philistines

So a question on native spiders. In my excellent book byMichael J Roberts Tegenaria domestica are listed as being a mere 9-10mm from tip of abdomen to tip of cephalothorax, (female)yet many of these House spiders are fou d to well exceed this size!
        I mean,how many of us have found a monster in the bath!
        Ray Gabriel

Comment

The larger specimens are probably T. gigantea then
          Guy...
          www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Hi ,

we welcome everyone on the BTS forum. You don't have to keep spiders to be interested in them. I know many of our members who dont have a single tarantula.

Although T.domestica are listed as being a specific size, the males, which are usually the ones that you find in the bath or scurrying across the floor grow bigger and with their spindly legs they often give quite a fright.

Hope this helps

Ray Hale
            BTS Committee
            British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
            The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
            On
            [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Originally posted by RayHale
              Hi ,

we welcome everyone on the BTS forum. You don't have to keep spiders to be interested in them. I know many of our members who dont have a single tarantula.

Although T.domestica are listed as being a specific size, the males, which are usually the ones that you find in the bath or scurrying across the floor grow bigger and with their spindly legs they often give quite a fright.

Hope this helps

Ray Hale
              BTS Committee
              Thanks Ray!

Now I wonder if T.domestica grows larger indoors due to the extra heat we provide!
              Ray Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                The larger specimens are probably T. gigantea then
                Hey I thought you were joking there but it exists!

Tegenaria gigantea
                (A House Spider)

This is one of the spiders that come running across the living-room floor when you are watching Coronation Street...and suddenly everybody is standing on a chair...boy can they be big...at least for the UK.

So its a spider found in the UK, but why isnt it listed in my Guide book?
                Ray Gabriel

Comment

Then you need a better guide book!
                  Guy...
                  www.giantspiders.com

Comment

You might also find it useful to join the British Arachnological Society (see our links page for their website). The BAS covers British spiders in great detail (have field trips, book offers, newsletter, bulletin etc...).

Of course if you're interested in tarantulas this is the site to be on The T-store and Guy's site also have excellent fora

Cheers,
                    Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                      Then you need a better guide book!
                      Actually it is in my book,but its a synonym of T. duellica and so I didnt notice it in the index!

And the guide book I have is the definitve guide on european spiders, quite good actually(Collins series)
                      Ray Gabriel

Comment

Hi Larry,
                        Nope, that small book only covers the larger, common species. Roberts also has a comprehensive book (in three A4-sized volumes) which covers all the UK fauna including all those tiny money spiders. Unfortunately the price tag is large too. My well-used copies have become invertebrates (i.e. spineless ).

Richard

Comment

Agreed, a classic book if a little expensive.

Another to recommend is The Country Life Guide to Spiders of Britain and Northern Europe by Dick Jones (Published by Country Life ISBN: 0-600-35665-5) - a little more affordable.
                          Guy...
                          www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                            Agreed, a classic book if a little expensive.

Another to recommend is The Country Life Guide to Spiders of Britain and Northern Europe by Dick Jones (Published by Country Life ISBN: 0-600-35665-5) - a little more affordable.
                            Guy
                            Yes this is an excellent book, I picked it up for a pound at the AES Kempton Park.

Cheers
                            Mark

------------------------------------------------------
                            Serious Ink tattoo studio -
                            Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
                            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                            X