Tank Mildew. Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Mildew. Please help

Hello all, I am having a new problem with mildew in my spider tanks. Due to the conditions/humidity levels then I assume mildew is inevitable.
    I have read conflicting reports on misting the tank or introducing water into one corner. I have chosen to mist but now have a fine layer of mildew on the substrate. Is this a threat to my tarantulas and should I change this substrate ASAP or is this normal?
    I have to say, for pets that are said to be 'easy to keep' I am really struggling.

What substrate are you using & which species of spider are you housing?

Increasing the ventilation and allowing the substrate to dry-out a little will reduce the problem. However it rather depends on the species you're housing. Some species will happily live on bone-dry substrate (with just a water bowl). Others need higher humidity.

In high-humidity set-ups you can introduce small woodlice, which will control fungal growth to some degree.

Richard

Comment

I'm keeping one B. Smithi and one A. Seemanni.
      Dry substrate With just a water bowl would be perfect but would that be okay as From what i've read the humidity would not be high enough?

Comment

that should be fine my two B.smithi slings only get misted about twice a month if that and they are on dry peat in small tupperware tubs with no water, they get theirs from their food. Our older B.klasi has a water bowl only and seems happy with that. As both Smithi and A. Seemanni are used to arriad and at times deseert like conditions I dont see a problem at all.

Comment

Yes I agree, both those spiders will do OK in a drier environment. Indeed B. smithi will much perfer to walk on dry substrate.

What you can do is give the spiders some retreat (cork bark or flowerpot) so they can hide in there. This will allow them to create a 'burrow' which will be more humid than the rest of the tank.

Maintain a damp corner of substrate (to correspond with the back of the retreat) and it'll be fine. So long as these spiders have access to a water bowl they'll be OK.

Don't worry about trying to match published humidity values - they're meaningless in any case. And often way too high for captivity.

Richard

Comment

Thankyou once again for all your help. This forum and its members have been invaluable to me and I appreciate all your help

Comment

Working...
            X