Hickhicker into my collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hickhicker into my collection

When I added to my collection a few days ago I was expecting the collection to numeber 18. It seems however as if my expectations are out by one. I was feeding and tank cleaning one of my new arrivals and spotted a tiny sling. My only problem now is how do I feed a 1 mm sling and of course what species have I got? All I know other than its estimated size is that it sits like a terestrial and burrows and is the normal pink with black spot that young slings are. Oh and it seems to prefer it nice and damp. I am also concerned about how to house it properly as even a 35mm film tub would be way to big for it to find its food etc. At the moment it is living in a wax moth tub in my sling tank but I want to get it into something more approprate as soon as possible. Ideas on food and housing are most welcome.

minor corection now I have had a closer look at it and seen it streched out it is about 1 cm total length and is a dark greyish colour with black spot.

Comment

Must've been a pleasant surprise!

I don't know if many people could identify it at that size, by description or even photo. Which spider was it living with?
      As for feeding, if you haven't any sling food (sling tank? Do you have other slings?), try squashing a small cricket or something and placing it in the tub. It works with scorplings, at least, and I've heard of it working with slings. With sliced mealworm segments, IIRC.

Comment

It was living with a WC Avic Purpurea that we received at the weekend. We got the tank with the A.Purp, and it was in there.

We have an A.Purp sling as well, and it doens't look anything like that one. But all baby slings look the same.. have to feed it up and see if we can tell what it is.
        And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Richardson
          It was living with a WC Avic Purpurea that we received at the weekend. We got the tank with the A.Purp, and it was in there.

We have an A.Purp sling as well, and it doens't look anything like that one. But all baby slings look the same.. have to feed it up and see if we can tell what it is.
          A purpurea slings are a little one the bluish side well maybe a littel greyer but somewhat sililar to versicolor slings.

P.S Neil since you now have your Avic purp and still want the use of my male just send me an email

Visit my web site @ http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk

Comment

Thanks graham we think it is due a moult in february so would have to wait for then. Last moult was around that time.

Comment

Yes Warren I have 6 other slings right now each has its own tub which is in a large pet pal with a heat mat on the underside of the lid. Right now I have 2 red knees, 3 chacos paraguy form, 1 a.purpurea and the little mystry sling.

Comment

Sarah ask who you got it from what they had that escaped lol. A film pot will be fine.
                GW I am still waiting for the male to do a sperm web which he hasnt done yet

Comment

Originally posted by Layla Mc
                  Sarah ask who you got it from what they had that escaped lol. A film pot will be fine.
                  GW I am still waiting for the male to do a sperm web which he hasnt done yet
                  Probably becuase he spun one just before I sent him so at the moment there is no need for him to spin one

Comment

Layla have already mailed the previous owner to ask if he has had any escapees, and am waiting to hear back from him. But am not sure if this is an escapee from one tank to the other or a accidental transfer as the sling is still very young.

Comment

Graeme he did a web and isnt getting it on with fems. Will leave him in with the freshest and hope they do the biz.
                      Sarah Im not sure what you mean. I thought it only would have got in there by accident?!

Comment

Got an email from Mark today. He thinks it's a Curly Hair, as he lost about 1,000 of them this year and only found 13 of them. Still have to wait and see what it turns into.
                        And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Layla I was thinking along the lines of got left in there by accident or made its own way in but which ever way it happened its all good.

Comment

Curlys are awesome wee spiders.

Comment

maybe your females aren't giving off the right signals cus mine mated straight away.

Just throw him in with the females if he gets munched he gets munches. I have no other breeding loans Lined up since purps aren't that common to find

Comment

Working...
                              X