New African taxonomy paper out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New African taxonomy paper out

Gallon, R. C. 2008. On some poorly known African Harpactirinae, with notes on Avicuscodra arabica Strand, 1908 and Scodra pachypoda Strand, 1908 (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Bulletin of the British Arachnological Society, 14 (5): 232–246.

Summary
    The holotype ‘‘female’’ of Harpactirella flavipilosa Lawrence, 1936 was re-examined and found to be an immature male, and a junior synonym of Pterinochilus lugardi Pocock, 1900. Pterinochilus cryptus sp. n. is described from Angola. Pterinochilus leetzi Schmidt, 2002 is considered a junior synonym of Pterinochilus murinus Pocock, 1897. Ceratogyrus bechuanicus Purcell, 1902 is treated as a junior synonym of Ceratogyrus darlingi Pocock, 1897. The genus Avicuscodra Strand, 1908 is removed from the synonymy of Chaetopelma Ausserer, 1871 and made a junior synonym of Avicularia Lamarck, 1818. The Egyptian type locality of Avicuscodra arabica Strand, 1908 is considered erroneous. Heteroscodra pachypoda (Strand, 190 is returned to the genus Stromatopelma Karsch, 1881.

The PDF is 38MB, so I am unable to upload it to this site or e-mail it.
    EDIT: now available as a free download 1MB file from: http://www.thebts.co.uk/forums/downloads.php
    Cheers,
    Richard
    Last edited by Richard Gallon; 14-07-08, 10:05 AM.

Any chance of it being available on CD if I send you an SAE.

I could upload the PDF to my site and post a link to it if it's freely available to all.

Colin
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gallon View Post
      Gallon, R. C. 2008. On some poorly known African Harpactirinae, with notes on Avicuscodra arabica Strand, 1908 and Scodra pachypoda Strand, 1908 (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Bulletin of the British Arachnological Society, 14 (5): 232–246.

Summary
      The holotype ‘‘female’’ of Harpactirella flavipilosa Lawrence, 1936 was re-examined and found to be an immature male, and a junior synonym of Pterinochilus lugardi Pocock, 1900. Pterinochilus cryptus sp. n. is described from Angola. Pterinochilus leetzi Schmidt, 2002 is considered a junior synonym of Pterinochilus murinus Pocock, 1897. Ceratogyrus bechuanicus Purcell, 1902 is treated as a junior synonym of Ceratogyrus darlingi Pocock, 1897. The genus Avicuscodra Strand, 1908 is removed from the synonymy of Chaetopelma Ausserer, 1871 and made a junior synonym of Avicularia Lamarck, 1818. The Egyptian type locality of Avicuscodra arabica Strand, 1908 is considered erroneous. Heteroscodra pachypoda (Strand, 190 is returned to the genus Stromatopelma Karsch, 1881.

The PDF is 38MB, so I am unable to upload it to this site or e-mail it.
      Cheers,
      Richard

Can we have it in plain English please Richard?????

Does this mean darlingi and bechuanicus are one and the same?????
      spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Hi Richard, can we have it in plain english please, and does it mean my bechuanics' and darlingi are all one and the same now???????

Comment

Timo and Mikhail have kindly sent me a compressed version of the PDF, so this can be downloaded from here:

Mary:
          Virtually all the tarantulas in captivity sold under the name "Ceratogyrus bechuanicus" are in reality Ceratogyrus darlingi (so you can change your tank labels). The name "Ceratogyrus bechuanicus" is no longer in use.

If in doubt, post-up pictures on the BTS forum and I'll confirm the ID. Just need an underside shot (which includes the abdomen) and a photo of the whole spider from the top.

Cheers,
          Richard
          Last edited by Richard Gallon; 14-07-08, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks Richard, you are a darlin, I will have to see if I can get pics of them for you. This means I have 6 or 7 darlingi's then lol........

Comment

Thank you Richard. (and Timo and Mikail)
              Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 19-07-08, 02:33 PM. Reason: Duplicate posts

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Mr Gallon, I know you've just explained Mary's question, but I still don't get it.
                You're suggesting or rather informing that Ceratogyrus bechuanicus doesn't really exist and it's the same spider as C. darlingi, right? So why is it still in Platnick's Spider Catalogue?

Or maybe I misunderstood your publication. (My English is still not the best )

Cheers
                Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Adam S View Post
                  Mr Gallon, I know you've just explained Mary's question, but I still don't get it.
                  You're suggesting or rather informing that Ceratogyrus bechuanicus doesn't really exist and it's the same spider as C. darlingi, right? So why is it still in Platnick's Spider Catalogue?

Or maybe I misunderstood your publication. (My English is still not the best )

Cheers
                  Adam
                  Adam
                  I am sure in due course Platnick's Spider Catalogue will be updated to reflect the changes suggested with in Richards paper, as you can imagine a lot of updated and revisions throughout the arachnid world means a lot of work on the catalogue and updates take time.
                  Last edited by Mark Pennell; 12-03-09, 09:19 PM.

------------------------------------------------------
                  Serious Ink tattoo studio -
                  Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
                  My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Richard,
                    One quick question. As H. pachypoda is now Stromatopelma, does this keep its second name or is the spider to be given a new name completely?
                    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Keeps the same species name.
                      Richard

Comment

thanks Richard
                        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Hi Richard
                          I have a number of C. darlingi and 3 labeled as C. bechuanicus which I believe were purchased at BTS.
                          I'd like to get some pix for more positive identification but there seems clear differences in these species.
                          The darlingi have a flesh tone abdomen under a dark brown chevron pattern with a horn clearly in the middle.
                          the "labeled" bechuanicus has a dark brown abdomen with black but very broken chevron and a more pronounced horn closer to the rear of the carapace and from it a ridge that leads up to ocular tubercle.
                          I was wondering if this had any bearing or whether it was just colour/pattern variations of darlingi.
                          Is there a way of clearly identifying from the horns?
                          My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Are there any differences in the extent of the sub-abdominal bands?

Remember that some marshalli females can have horns which lean backwards like darlingi.

The base coloration can be variable - I've seen almost black specimens and pale grey ones amongst museum collections. So base coloration isn't that useful for separating the species.

Cheers,
                            Richard

Comment

Working...
                            X