Hi, I am new and have an Avicularia avicularia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I am new and have an Avicularia avicularia

Hello, I just thought I would introduce myself with a picture of my new A. avicularia, it just arrived from the supplier and is looking (I hope) well. Around 8cm leg span and I think I noticed an epigynum.
    Last edited by Dave Parry; 13-03-07, 06:04 PM.
    A. Avicularia

welcome to The BTS forum is it your first tarantula?
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

yes, that's right, I did some research and found out that it was a good arboreal species to start with.
      A. Avicularia

Comment

yep certainly is congrats and welcome to the addiction,

I saw my A.avic for the first time in ages yesterday when I had to clean her out she normally stays hidden in her web between two bits of bark
        The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Great first T, welcome to the fold.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Batten View Post
            I saw my A.avic for the first time in ages yesterday
            After not really seeing much of my Avic since my Daughters bought her for me at Xmas, she has just started being much bolder around her cage, she is out most nights and eats in the open where as previously she just shot out of her web and dragged the locust inside.

Welcome to the mad world of Tarantula keeping Dave, I think most will agree with me that in a couple of months you'll have a few more in the collection. 'Addictive' is an understatement.
            Remember there's a wealth of information on this site and many, many people that will be able to offer you advice and guidance. as i said in another post "there's no such thing as a stupid question, if you had to ask it, then you didn't know the answer"
            Last edited by Guest; 21-04-07, 10:24 AM.

Comment

oh is avic. quite a shy spider then? I have one of those hollow cork tubes that mine has set up residence in, luckily its facing towards the front so I can pretty much see her most of the time.
              Any idea how long they take to set up a bit of a web and what their method of web making is? I have just (a couple of minutes ago) noticed her wandering out of the tube and laying a few strands of silk to a stick a few inches away.

Oh if I tend to ask complicated questions its only because I have just been spending about six months writing an undergrad dissertation about spiders and webs and things!
              A. Avicularia

Comment

This is how much of mine i saw for about two months, the little thing fed in there, moulted in there, did normal spidery things in there and only popped her bum out to have a poo (quite nicely aimed at the glass front)

We've named her(?) Titch, but i was thinking of changing it to Scarlet (after the Pimpernel...)

The web was built over night, quite a feat as she wrapped artificial plants into the structure, so i didn't see the actual web building, over the next two months alterations were made day and night but agin all i saw was a little foot pop out and hold bits in place whilst she webbed up.

You say your Diss' is on spiders, webs and stuff. what do you hope to do when you grad?
                Last edited by Guest; 21-04-07, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X