Some better pics of some of my collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some better pics of some of my collection

My Megaphobema robustum which has now happily burrowed graced me with it's presence so i took the oppertunity to get some snaps!

Then there's my gutsy G, pulchra sling stuffing it's face with 3 small crickets!

Then there are a couple of nice ones of my B, smithi juv

Then there's my little Avic sp

My G, rosea post moult

Some nice ones of A, geniculata stuffing it's face

Some nice ones of my T, blondi juv too

Some nice spiders there Jo

Lance

Comment

Thank you Lance

I'm very proud of them!

Comment

Nice images Johanna, the little Avics a stunner (i have a soft spot for arboreals particularly Avics)
        Have you been on and joined Michael Jacobi's Arboreal forum yet, its guided towards more specific arboreal info, interesting reading when you dredge through, although i'm a little surprised that there's not a lot of recent activity.

Comment

Hi Colin
          No I haven't had a look but will go have a little shufty now.
          Thanks for the comments though, really enjoying keeping these spiders and actually have a real sense of pride when they pose for the pics!! lol!

The little Avic was in a brilliant spot for that pic and it came out great considering it's not quite 2cm in size!
          I love the markings on the abdomen but i think they lose them as they grow older don't they?

I was over the moon last night to see it take a fairly hefty cricket from the side of it's 'pot' and chow down! First time i have seen it eat since I bought it..

Comment

I think they have a fairly bright red and black banded (side bands) abdomen when they're adult, not seen one for a while so may be mistaken.

This could be your first post on the arboreal forum !!!

Comment

Yay! Just signed up to the Arboreal forum but waiting for the go ahead to post. Really been admiring the Pokies but worried about over facing myself as i know they can be quick! (Says the girl with the T, blondi and the L, parahybana!)

Thanks Colin!

Also just noticed you are a photographer! I'm just starting to really get into it (Hence the hefty purchase on the latest camera!) and having loads of fun playing around with pictures etc, hoping to get a bit more advanced with practice!

Comment

Yup i'm a photographer, don't do people, only nature really. (mind you, i do occasionally photograph local bands in concert...but the moneys right if you know what i mean)
                Had a few photos published in wildlife /reptile mags etc in the 80's and early 90's. Did a bit for West Midlands Safari Park with Mark O'Shae (one of my favorite photos is Mark with my two lads, yes i know its people but this is different, pride comes into it) Had a few stills of sea shore birds accepted by Bill Oddie for a series he made.
                In August this year have got a 3 day photo shoot categorising archeaological artifacts found by the Time Team when they re-dig Bosworth and Dallington.
                Got loads of images stored on disk that i can't put up on my site due to copyright ownership by the magazines / tv channels etc, shame really.

As Austen Stevens (south african herpetologist) says.. when you are only really happy with one out of two or three hundred shots, you've turned from a person with a camera into a photographer... How true this is.
                Last edited by Guest; 23-03-07, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Pictures

Hi Johanna

Love the pictures!! especially the B.smithi I might seriously have to get one of these (Glen was right I might well have two T's in two months).

How old is this one?

Barbara
                  Last edited by Barbara Gittings; 24-03-07, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                    Yup i'm a photographer, don't do people, only nature really. (mind you, i do occasionally photograph local bands in concert...but the moneys right if you know what i mean)
                    Had a few photos published in wildlife /reptile mags etc in the 80's and early 90's. Did a bit for West Midlands Safari Park with Mark O'Shae (one of my favorite photos is Mark with my two lads, yes i know its people but this is different, pride comes into it) Had a few stills of sea shore birds accepted by Bill Oddie for a series he made.
                    In August this year have got a 3 day photo shoot categorising archeaological artifacts found by the Time Team when they re-dig Bosworth and Dallington.
                    Got loads of images stored on disk that i can't put up on my site due to copyright ownership by the magazines / tv channels etc, shame really.

As Austen Stevens (south african herpetologist) says.. when you are only really happy with one out of two or three hundred shots, you've turned from a person with a camera into a photographer... How true this is.

Wow, so a pretty impressive portfolio!
                    My interest is also nature and my mother has horses so I like to try and get some nice pics of them too.
                    I like to find something ordinary but photograph it in a way that makes the picture really unusual if that makes sense.
                    So I have a long ways to go yet them with regards skills, I am tempted to take my camera out and about in the car today and see if anything I come across takes my fancy. One of the reasons for the spec of the camera was to try and get better zoom and also a faster shutter speed for moving creatures!

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Gittings View Post
                      Hi Joanna

Love the pictures!! especially the B.smithi I might seriously have to get one of these (Glen was right I might well have two T's in two months).

How old is this one?

Barbara

Hi Barbara
                      It's a beut isn't it, was really impressed when it turned up in the post!
                      Ordered from lee at thespidershop.

Not sure how old, was described as juvenile and I did have that explained to me elsewhere on the boards (This discussion forum, I asked if people could help me differentiate between Nymph, Sling, Juv and Sub Adult, Adult)

Lovely T to keep, is the biggest in my collection so far as I have some juv bird eaters but they are a bit smaller (At the moment!!)

But it is another good one to start on, quite a character and pretty quiet in the tank (Although has it's days! Don't we all?)

Comment

Originally posted by Johanna McMullen View Post
                        Wow, so a pretty impressive portfolio!
                        Thank you, hope i didn't come across a too modest, had another read of what i wrote and it sounded a bit big headed.

One of the reasons for the spec of the camera was to try and get better zoom and also a faster shutter speed for moving creatures!
                        If your camera has both optical and digital zoom, try and use the optical zoom for close up. It uses physical lenses rather than increasing the size of the picture digitally, gives a better clean and sharper image.
                        also apart from my ring light flash attachment, i use a small flouro tube light (about 6 inches long, battery powered, about £5.00 from Wilko's so a cheap alternative to a £250.00 ring light) this evenly illuminates the whole area so the camera has a better lighting field to focus better (if it's got infra red focusing then you're ok). the low even light doesn't seem to startle the 'T' either.

Comment

Loving the pics Johanna, I have a real soft spot for B. smithi's.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X