P. metallica;now looking male...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P. metallica;now looking male...

I received a female metallica a couple months ago. It was 1" then and it was a guarenteed female from molt. Well she molted over the holidays and all female organs, seemed to be absent... here a ventral shot, any ideas? I'm not sticking with male though, it is still only 2". It is best to wait until it gets a little bigger. I'd just like everyones input on it. Thanks!

Originally posted by Austin S. Spears View Post
    It was 1" then and it was a guarenteed female from molt.
    It's impossible to garantee the sex on this specie at this size.

Comment

Originally posted by Steevens DROGUET View Post
      It's impossible to garantee the sex on this specie at this size.
      Thats what I like to hear!!

Comment

Much as I don't agree with ventral sexing, I understand the principle, and that looks very much like a male to me.

Get it confirmed from an exuvia would be my advice. That's the only 100% way to be sure

My Collection:

Comment

Male 100%

Comment

Well some good news! The person I got "it" from said whenever it getsl larger, and I can be able to sex the molt male, I will get a large female, for no charge. Well, that made my day!!

Comment

Just wanted to add these. Any new thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Bryceland View Post
                Male 100%
                steve your getting good at this ventral sexing mate and i 100% agree with you on this one its 100% male , 90% of spiders can be sexed as slings through to sub adults ventrally , i never sex by moults any more its quicker and easyier to sex ventrally

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Goldsborough View Post
                  steve your getting good at this ventral sexing mate and i 100% agree with you on this one its 100% male , 90% of spiders can be sexed as slings through to sub adults ventrally , i never sex by moults any more its quicker and easyier to sex ventrally
                  90% of spiders can be reliably and accurately sexed ventrally? That's a bold and sweeping statement Simon.

Are we talking all spiders (including trues), all theraphosids, all mygalomorphae, all pokies, avics, all new world, all old world or what?

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
                    90% of spiders can be reliably and accurately sexed ventrally? That's a bold and sweeping statement Simon.

Are we talking all spiders (including trues), all theraphosids, all mygalomorphae, all pokies, avics, all new world, all old world or what?
                    i know its a bold statement if i can sex them ventrally so can mal pots so can paul towler why cant other people , this is from the spiders i have owen including x imannis , t blondi , t apophysis , all the pokies , every avic's i have owen and grown on , e oliveace , c andersoni , h gigas , l paraha , p cambridgei , p irminia , p reduncs , all brachys we have had , all the speices i have ownd in the past have all been sexed as slings , fishing spiders are true spiders i have had 2 slings and they was sexed ventrally as both females both matured in to females

Comment

You've got better eyesight than me then Simon. I must invest in some better glasses

My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                      X