Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Cube: The Moult

Hey,
    Ice Cube just moulted (I am uncertain of when exactly) but within the last week or so.

Before

After

He had been in hiding for months, so when he came out it was quite a shock! I hadn't actually realized he had moulted, though my sister and her b/f said he looked a lot bigger. It was only when I found his old skin that was confirmed.
    I'd say, he definitely has grown actually, but not really significantly. Only by about a centimetre, and I do know that one centimetre is actually quite a bit, considering that these species are slow growing.

And the skin:

One of the legs fell off when I was handling it (the exuvium, obviously)

Thanks,

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Shah; 15-06-08, 11:58 AM.
    Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
    Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well it's nice to see that he's surfaced and put your mind at rest....

You say he's been hiding for months, well with the looks of his abdomen, he might not be too far off another one mate.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
      well it's nice to see that he's surfaced and put your mind at rest....

You say he's been hiding for months, well with the looks of his abdomen, he might not be too far off another one mate.
      Yes I noticed that too! When he first began coming out, he had a fresh new lot of urticating hairs, and a distinctly black section underneath that, distinguished from the rest of his grey abdomen.
      Now he's kicked some of those hairs off and I can see a white flesh colour where the hairs were, so I do not really know if he's due another moult so soon.

Is it even possible for him to moult so soon??

Thanks Colin,

Rich.
      Last edited by Richard Shah; 15-06-08, 01:00 PM.
      Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!

Comment

You said he'd been in hiding for months so it's possible that the first moult was from the early part of this time and he's due for another one now.
        As reference my brachys in and around that size moult about three to four times a year , they're fed often (but not overfed) and temps are around 80 for their summer and 70 for their winter.

Comment

You said he'd been in hiding for months so it's possible that the first moult was from the early part of this time and he's due for another one now.
          As reference my brachys in and around that size moult about three to four times a year , they're fed often (but not overfed) and temps are around 80 for their summer and 70 for their winter.
          Yeah that is very possible, but why would he come out now? Also, he's started eating well (like you mentions yours has done), but tarantulas with a dark abdomen (premoult) are known not to, aren't they? Or may he be 'stocking up'?

Cheers Mark,

Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Shah View Post
            Cheers Mark,
            Hey, I've been promoted

As is said many times on this forum, although spiders follow their "general rules", each one is different due to it's surroundings and the differing way each of us keep them.
            I've had spiders eat right up to a couple of days before moult, others that haven't eaten for months....they do what they want to!!

If he's eating, moulting and showing signs of natural behaviour then he's doing fine...

Comment

Hey, I've been promoted

As is said many times on this forum, although spiders follow their "general rules", each one is different due to it's surroundings and the differing way each of us keep them.
              I've had spiders eat right up to a couple of days before moult, others that haven't eaten for months....they do what they want to!!

If he's eating, moulting and showing signs of natural behaviour then he's doing fine...
              Loool!! Sorry my bad; I was looking through the ebooks section whilst writing my reply back to you!!

Thanks Colin!!!!!

Comment

I've been away a while so I'm just catching up on some posts. I was keen to know how IC is doing as his sister (we'll get them on Jeremy Kyle and do a DNA test to confirm!!) is just about to moult again. If they are siblings Richard, IC could have moulted not long after Gloria. Her rump was looking that way from about 3 weeks ago, a week or so before you posted this thread.
                This is her now

As they seem to be moulting at roughly the same time, the chances are they are from the same sac.

Fingers crossed hey Rich!
                Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Ferguson View Post
                  I've been away a while so I'm just catching up on some posts. I was keen to know how IC is doing as his sister (we'll get them on Jeremy Kyle and do a DNA test to confirm!!) is just about to moult again. If they are siblings Richard, IC could have moulted not long after Gloria. Her rump was looking that way from about 3 weeks ago, a week or so before you posted this thread.
                  This is her now

As they seem to be moulting at roughly the same time, the chances are they are from the same sac.

Fingers crossed hey Rich!
                  I've been away too.

I don't know exactly who Jeremy Kyle is but I know what the show's about, and that would definitely make an even stranger episode tahn they usually are!

If they are from the same sac, brilliant. I can't wait to see if IC moults soon!

Comment

Working...
                  X