Sexing Urophonius Granulatus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexing Urophonius Granulatus

Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures but they are good enough to demonstrate the point. There is very little on the internet regarding sexing these so I though I would post for all those who may have recently bought one or two... or 4 in my case!

The female (top) is somewhat larger and more stocky than the male. (About 3mm bigger length wise)
    Her markings are also a lot stronger when compared to the males. especially the sporadic markings along the tail, peds and on each of the legs. This can be clearly seen on the legs and peds of the M & F in the picture, the males legs n peds are somewhat paler. The markings on the tail are down the sides so you cant make out the females tail markings from this picture.

The tail of the female is also quite thick giving her an almost buthid like appearance, only the telson remains small.

As for sexing by the pedipalps, it is possible to view this by naked eye but if you can put your specimens on a white sheet of paper they will be clear to see. If you look on the top of the pedipalp and you get a perfect teardrop section you undoubtably have a female. The male, from the naked eye has a right angle on the inside of the pedipalp just below the pincers. If you look at the zoomed in picture you will see the male at the bottom kindly displaying his right ped in the correct position to see the tubular node that gives the males ped its angular appearance

The females right hand pedipalp... also nicely shown off is perfectly curved.

Sometimes sexing by the pecteins can be a good indicator, but with these scorps being so small (max 30mm) both the Male and the Female pecteins are longer than the width of the body, on closer inspection the males do stick out more but without having a female to comapre with this method of sexing could give inaccurate results

Hope this is of help to anyone who has recently bought this sp.

Lisa xx

Female @ the top

Close up of pedipalps
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Lisa thanks for the great pics, i will compare mine tonight.
    fingers crossed i have two females, eh?
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Glad pics are of use. fingers crossed yours are female lol! I have plenty of eligible bachelors!!!

Comment

yeah, if both of mine are male...that's less ideal lol
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

If that is the case then i have one VERY lucky female hehehehehe!

If ya not 100% see if you can get as clear a pic as possible and post it on here and i'll have a nosey

Comment

hey there great, but they wont be much of a meal for my tarantulas later on tonight will they ! Now the scorpio maurus are more like it!! (For all you with a sense of humour extraction this is what is called in the trade a JOKE!!!!)

Comment

cheeky!

Comment

is THAT what a joke is?

hehe

Lisa...i *think* i have good news.
                you guessed it
                both look like laaydeees to me.
                looking at the top of the palp, where the top pincer joins the bulb, in both of mine it is smooth, not with a right angled bit
                also the tails are fat and the bodies are stockier than your male in the pic
                the markings are strong as well.
                it is hard to compare as both appear to be the same gender, so obviously i don't have a male to check against.
                this also may be why they were tolerant of each other...i've heard female scorpions get along well and that a higher ratio of females to males in groups can keep problems down (a type of animal where females actually keep the violence down? no comment!)
                but regardless, it looks like we're going to have to introduce my ladies to your fellas!
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Awesome great news.. let the breeding begin lol! * hopefully*

Glad the pictures were of help. These pictures will also be going on the scorpion files, jan ove rein's site because he hasn't got any pics of them... so im well chuffed!

Comment

Working...
                  X