Everyone, meet Monk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone, meet Monk

I got my T in the post today, is a Brachypelma Verdesi.

It's a little bald on the back, since its laid hairs on its previous web.

I called it Monk, from the B'morrian Monk, the spider like creatures that built Jabba the Hutt's palace in Return of the Jedi.

It moved in well and seems happy in the new enclosure, which I need a better pic of. But so far, one very happy new hobbyist here!
    Attached Files

Welcome to the forum and to keeping spiders Phil!
    Not your fault obviously but the first thing you'll want to do is get her on a diet as she's very overweight.
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

It's not obvious, to me anyways, lol.

I've not fed her yet, I was going to let her settle then start her on crickets. I'm taking it one every couple of weeks might be a bit much?

Comment

I have a H mac that is as overweight as yours, I've fed her once since Christmas (3 days ago) and she still needs to join weightwatchers cos she hasnt lost a mm in size.
        Gotta admit though . . yours looks like a fat tick LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Lilley View Post
          It's not obvious, to me anyways, lol.

I've not fed her yet, I was going to let her settle then start her on crickets. I'm taking it one every couple of weeks might be a bit much?
          I meant its obvious its not your fault that she's overweight rather than its obvious she's overweight

I wouldn't feed her at all until she's moulted to be honest even it could be a while yet.

Comment

Sorry, I thought that's what you meant. So, no offence.

And ok, I'm eager to see her in action, if you see what I mean? But I'll leave it for a while. Thank you.

Comment

None taken

I would resist the urge and get another spider if you'd like to see one eat because that spider is seriously overweight. Whilst a spider is fat it is more at risk to life threatening injuries and potentially, moulting problems. There is also the danger of friction wounds forming on the underside of the abdomen from dragging it across the ground as it moves. As a general rule a well proportioned spider will have an abdomen around the same size or slightly larger than its carapace.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mackay View Post
                As a general rule a well proportioned spider will have an abdomen around the same size or slightly larger than its carapace.
                That was going to be my next question, so thank you. To me, it looked a bit bald, but I want worried. At least now I know what she should look like.

I'm already looking at another T, not sure what, but just another one. So it'll be good to know what I'm looking for. Learning all the time!

Comment

Don't worry about the baldness, its quite normal for the spider to flick their hairs off. It's quite handy as you'll be able to tell when its due to moult as the "skin" on the abdomen will start to darken eventually becoming jet black as the new exoskeleton forms under the surface.

Comment

Got a couple of new pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1343149087619.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	94355

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1343149108138.jpg
Views:	1