Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Story 1988 Pics of My first T and My New 2006

Found the site sometime ago and it recurd'led my interest in T's

Here’s my story for anyone who’s interested.

Well back in 1998 (A year after I bought my first house) I visited a little dark pet shop in Wednesfield (A small ancient market town just outside Wolverhampton) He had a single T a lonely looking spider with reddish legs, I was told “That’s a male mate”, I thought what a beautiful thing. I parted with quite a sum of money for it (Well it was then) Then we set about the task of finding out how to care for it, well I’m pretty sure that most of the UK members on here would have struggled like I did in those days to find information (No Superhighway then) I did manage to get a book / pamphlet via mail order called Tarantula Keeping, I lost the book some 10 years ago before I moved to what is my current house, what I do remember is a colour photo of a very fat T called “Duchess” did anyone buy it ???, Anyway after much searching I found that we had bought a Red Knee, After much reading I bought a small fish tank which I half filled with Vermiculite and lump wood, I then scrounged one of my Fathers Home Brew heat pads, a small dish for water, and we called it “Ben” I have quite a few pictures of it in those early days some I have attached to this message, (They are scans of old 6x4 photo’s, sorry about the quality) Wife decided she didn't want her face shown I suppose she was worried someone might photochop it in someway

Wifey with Ben, Before Kids

Ben having a run about

Earliest Picture I have this was circa 1988

Ben got on well, and loved (Well it seemed happy) walking around the living room, sometimes we would loose him for a bit but he always turned up (He loved eating house spiders, It was the only time we saw him move fast), Ben moulted a number of times (See later for tips found out the hard way), about a year later I managed to get a more comprehensive book on T, And then realised two things firstly that Mexican Red Knees are not tropical habitat spiders (At this point we reduced the condensation/humidity levels) and secondly set about finding a new name, It was a Female spider sexed from its last cast skin, after a short while we thought no stick with Ben so we did.

Late picture of Ben with Lump wood and moss

On Christmas day 1990 we had our First child a bouncing baby boy, anyway we had concerns about Ben liberal lifestyle and also the fact we had a child in the house, we didn’t want to give Ben away to an uncertain future (A number of friends said they would love to have him) he was very popular with all (well most) of our friends, in saying that we did loose a couple who said they would never set foot in our house while “IT” was still there. As the next year progressed and Christopher stated walking at 10 months Ben had to be confined to her tank for her own good. Friends would call around to see her (and us) Ben became a little unpredictable and if you reached into the tank she would very quickly run up your arm (This would startle people who visited us and knew her as a carpet sloth) Since Ben was now confined to her Tank 99% of the time and my wife had finished work while Christopher and 18 months later Samantha grew up we decided to buy a puppy from Sunny Side dog rescue in Wolverhampton, We thought it would be good for the Kids to give them confidence around animals (I know what you are thinking, and no the dog didn’t kill Ben), I decided to get our house professionally decorated the company we chose was “Wares” a nice chap called Tony was the boss, He showed a lot of interest in Ben but admitted he wouldn’t want one, However a mutual friend of his looked after the reptile house at Dudley Zoo and after about 6 weeks she came and collected Ben and all of her belongings, Ben I believe went to live at Dudley Zoo eventually (Does anyone know her, I think her name was Margaret) Years passed and the children loved looking at the photo’s we had. Samantha is now 13 and visited a local pet shop and quickly returned stating that they sell tarantulas, I didn’t take much talking into a visit, They had a small C. Rose (4.5inch) now for the past 14 years I haven’t really read up much about T’s so I thought do your homework first, well it seemed that the C.Rose was a good choice after asking the pet shop person if it was eating and also checking its cage I found 1 live locust and a half eaten one, I queried the situation and he said she had gone off her food (after going through at least 4 moults with Ben this really didn’t bother me that much and to my surprise the pet shop owner seemed more concerned for her well being, this was probably because of is own inexperience, his main business is reptiles) So I went armed money in hand and bought it complete with a home, (complete it cost me about half what Ben did, however I do think the pet shop person thought it was dieing) it was the 20th November 2005, Samantha called her “Siefer”, We bought her a new home a nice glass house with hinged diagonal lid, a nice piece of hollowed out lump wood and vermiculite base, This base setup was chosen purely because of the pre-moult and to control the odours, Here’s a tip for you (I’m not trying to teach my granny to suck eggs etc etc This worked for Ben and has now proved successful for Siefer) If you believe your T is in pre-Moult replace its substrate with vermiculite make sure it has a constant water supply, I do not vaporise the Tank, Ben nor Siefer seemed to like it and at this stage it doesn’t really help, Once the T has weaved its bed (C.Rose seems to prefer a flat bed, MRK seemed to prefer a angled bed up at one side usually onto its lump wood) and flipped over (Both did this) I then poured about 2 pints of luke warm water onto the substrate (Judge this yourself Siefer has a nice large tank), enough to completely condensate the interior, Ben moulted much quicker than Siefer but Siefer completed her moult in about 12 Hours.

This is Siefer having a climb two days after moult

Here is her home you might just see her above right to the bottle of stella

This is how it went

8am Laying a Bed of Weave about 6x6 inch
    10am Flipped onto back and is lying very still
    2pm Still Lying very still
    3pm More water added to substrate to maintain condensation/humidity levels (We have a constant temperature house with room wall stats)
    4pm slight leg movement
    5pm more leg movement
    6pm Very still for more than an hour (Don’t be tempted to prod)
    7pm Moult split head and back (Scientific Term lol)
    7:15pm obvious moult with legs free 20cm
    7:30pm moult complete
    7:45pm Spider very still and on back
    8pm no movement on back
    8:30 no movement
    9pm no movement
    10pm Siefer starts to flip back onto feet very sluggish
    Next day she is still only walking a short distance and always returning to her web pad, stretching out a little
    2 Days Later, I removed the old substrate and replaced it with a 80/20 Mix of Irish Peat Moss and Vermiculite and her lump wood (Which has been cooked on 180c for 45 mins to kill any bugs) Pic Attached.

Anyway that’s about all for now, I’m still exploring this informative site, you have seen Siefers house do you think it would be in order to divide this into 2 and allow another to live at the front of would the close proximity cause problems with the T’s

The case exoskeleton post moult

It looks like she has gained about an inch in length

Comments or reccomendations gratefully received

Sorry @admin if this is a bit long winded but I wanted to share it with other T lovers.

Thanks

Neil
    Neil & Jacqueline

It makes no sense to worry about things you have no control over because there's nothing you can do about them.

Neil if you were going to divide the tank at all you would need to divide it so that each side had a hotter and cooler spot. This could be achived by dividing the tank so each side gains half of the heat mat. To be honest tho with the tank the shape it is you might find dividing it at all tricky to do. At any rate what ever you do do about dividing the tank, both sides need hotter and cooler spots so that the spider can regulate its body temprture, by moving from one place to the other based on how hot or cold that place is and on what their body temprture is.

Comment

Temp

Sarah

I don't use Heat pads anymore, that was in the days of Ben, The room is pretty constant 24 degc regardless of time of day or night.

Prolly just get some more of the glass cabinettes, are there better ones than that in my picture ??

Thanks

Neil
      Neil & Jacqueline

It makes no sense to worry about things you have no control over because there's nothing you can do about them.

Comment

Re: Temp

Originally posted by NeilD
        Prolly just get some more of the glass cabinettes, are there better ones than that in my picture ??
        Hi Neil, welcome to the boards

As far as tanks/vivariums are concerned; have a look at the Exo Terra Glass tanks which start from around £30 for a 30x30x30cm Click for More Info
        Arachnophiles & Forum!

Comment

what a really lovely story.
          i just wanted to say that.
          'A Woman's Prayer:
          Dear Lord, I pray for: Wisdom, To understand a man , to Love and to forgive him , and for patience, For his moods. Because Lord, if I pray for Strength I'll just beat him to death'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning thats as good as their going to feel all day.

Comment

Re: Temp

Originally posted by big_loader
            Hi Neil, welcome to the boards

As far as tanks/vivariums are concerned; have a look at the Exo Terra Glass tanks which start from around £30 for a 30x30x30cm Click for More Info
            There are some really nice homes on there, but I cannot find a where to buy button, are they UK based or can you direct me to a UK vendor

Thanks

Neil
            Neil & Jacqueline

Comment

Great story Neil. How about sending it Richard G for the Journal. Its the type of thing our members enjoy reading ( and its not about Pokeys...hurray).

Seriosly Neil think about it. Im sure Richard would consider it.

Good luck and best wishes for the new year.

Ray Hale
              BTS Committee
              British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
              The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
              On
              [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Ben 1988

Originally posted by RayHale
                Great story Neil. How about sending it Richard G for the Journal. Its the type of thing our members enjoy reading ( and its not about Pokeys...hurray).

Seriosly Neil think about it. Im sure Richard would consider it.

Good luck and best wishes for the new year.

Ray Hale
                BTS Committee
                Not too sure who Richard is but that is fine, I will tidy it up and try and clean the other scans up and include them.

btw I used to live near Wednesbury and its only about 40 miles from me now, So I will certainly come over to the gathering

Thanks

Neil
                Neil & Jacqueline

Comment

Your best UK buyer would be either custom aquaria or to get the pet pals that you can find in local pet shops. In the shops they tend to be sold for hamsters etc in but they are great for T's. If your comming to the april show you should be able to talk to custom aquaria and come away with tanks or order them to size and shape.
                  As for your heating with your room able to be controled so presisely you dont need heat mats at all. Wish we were as lucky to be able to do that but our place is old so no heat control in each room for us.

Comment

cont

Originally posted by sarah.s
                    Your best UK buyer would be either custom aquaria or to get the pet pals that you can find in local pet shops. In the shops they tend to be sold for hamsters etc in but they are great for T's. If your comming to the april show you should be able to talk to custom aquaria and come away with tanks or order them to size and shape.
                    As for your heating with your room able to be controled so presisely you dont need heat mats at all. Wish we were as lucky to be able to do that but our place is old so no heat control in each room for us.
                    I'm pretty sure that the little enclosure that I bought with the T was one of those plastic cases with a little window in the plastic mesh top, Unfortunately it didn't gel with what Jan considered suitable for our other decor, I bought the current one from the BB but was very dissapointed with the finish and workmanship of the delivered item. Those in the link given really look nice and professionally built, I have found a local'ish stockist (The Hollybush Garden Centre) and I will be going over to have a look at them on Saturday.

Thankyou for all of your comments and help
                    Neil & Jacqueline

Comment

Re: Ben 1988

Not too sure who Richard is but that is fine
                      Neil

Richard Gallon is the Editor of the BTS Journal, I think after posting your wonderfull little story here we might as well have it here. I will add to the online articles pages... Thank you for sharing your tale with us.

Regards
                      Mark

------------------------------------------------------
                      Serious Ink tattoo studio -
                      Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
                      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Re: Ben 1988

Originally posted by Mark
                        Not too sure who Richard is but that is fine
                        Neil

Richard Gallon is the Editor of the BTS Journal, I think after posting your wonderfull little story here we might as well have it here. I will add to the online articles pages... Thank you for sharing your tale with us.

Regards
                        Mark
                        You are very welcome Mark, I'll try and dig out some more old pics of Ben later

Neil
                        Neil & Jacqueline

Comment

I like your story Neil. I well remember taking our first smithi to the vet with a broken leg (this was about 15 years ago), when the vet said get her out of the container I said no and was sent to the zoo to see a chap named Martin, who was over the insects at the time, he explained so much to me, and I even had her walk on my hand.
                          We lived in Rowley Regis at the time.
                          Mary
                          spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

cont

Hi Mary

Was it Dudley Zoo ?, A Stones throw from where you used to live, It wasn't a Richard who took Ben (wrong sex lol) But nice to hear from a Black Country T owner, we where few and far between in those days
                            Neil & Jacqueline

Comment

Hi Neil, just seen that you'll be paying me a visit at The Holly Bush at the weekend, please make yourself known to me as I'm always keen to meet fellow keepers from our forum, hope to be able to help & look forward to meeting you.

All the best,

Mike Conabeer
                              www.serpents-web.co.uk a work in progress.

Now offering the full range of MicroClimate products and also the full range of Java wood Decor.

Have you joined the BTS yet? If not why not? See the E-store to join online now

What is understood does not need to be discussed!

Comment

Working...
                              X