Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyM
    hello,

Just one thing for you information. There are currently no restrictions on selling animals to under 16,s. However, if the AWB gets past i think the legal age will become 16.

regards,

Andy.
    Having worked in a couple of pet shops over the years maybe it was thier own "standard" if you can use that word with "Pet City", and knowing a few owners of reptile shops who also follow this rule, which gave me the impression it was against the law. And i am aware of the BTS stance so maybe i got the wrong impression.

Yes this is food for thought, which is why i posted in the first place, and nice to read so many sensible and positive replys.

Also good to read there is a growing spider keeping population in Aberdeen, i spent my younger years there well some of them.

In a way i might contradict my own post by saying there is no real way to get experiance with a species untill you keep it, but i "support" the fact that many people recomend an "experiance scale" (for want of better words) when moving up the "species" ladder. Though i must say that this could be down to the individual person. I remeber selling a W/C Selenocosmia as a second spider to a now prominent BTS committe member. After getting to know this person i "knew" he would be OK with this specimen. He was told how quick and aggressive this spider was, and a couple of years later he was out catching his own.

I still think though that some species should only be kept untill after some experiance has been gained, whether that be one or two specimens over a few years or a large collection in a short period of time is down to the individual. Either way experiance is gained.

what do you think?

Ray

Comment

With the aid of the internet people have access to far more information than in the past. Years ago, before the internet, only a handful of literature was available, which only provided the basics, I agree most was learned in the keeping of exotics.

In my opinion, one should be familar with rehousing, moulting, etc., before considering a species which is less forgiving.

Comment

I think a 'scale' is a great idea for someone who out of their own choice plans on building up experience, for their own sake, so they can be sure that they are capable of owning a less easily cared for spider. But,I believe there is also a 'good' and a 'bad' type of 'compulsive buying' (I mean buying without masses of experience or having built a 'scale')

I am one of those people who, when I want something (like a gorgeous P.Murinus!) I will try get it a.s.a.p. This means ill spend night after night for weeks researching and making sure I know every detail just so that I can get my hands on that little guy. (I will try get it as fast as possible, but only once I am sure it is possible and I can handle it) In my opinion this is a responsible type of impulse buying that will most likely be every young wannabe arachnologists (like me! ) introduction to spiders, the fascination of wanting to learn more, and see more all the time which will eventually wear off to a point where I am happy to slow down! I dont want one of these because they are fast or defensive, I want one because they are astoundingly beautiful!

Then you get the wrong type of impulse buyer, an over 18 year old who likes what they see, thinks its cool and buys it.

I think every single case is an individual, as I may see a picture of a spider on the internet, then buy it the next week, but I will be doing it in a responsible way, I will walk into the that shop, or order it from the dealer with no doubts that I know what im talking about. But anyone with the slightest intelligence can pull off a seeming interest just to prise a spider from a sellers hands, therefore I think its fairly impossible to 'police' the trade.
        I think the sellers have to take the responsibility of using good judgement, but at the same time they cannot be blamed if an average lout dresses respectively, types tarantula into google, then goes and buys a H.Lividum knowing it eats crickets!

Im glad to hear theres a growing spider interest in aberdeen BTW! I hope I can be a major part of it in the future!

Comment

Brian

Pokies are the main concern, should one not slowly increase thier skill level before being allowed to obtain one of these.

I am new to this site, but have several years in the hobby, I recently aquired a P. murins sling as a stepping stone, on my way to obtaining a pokie, however that is still years away.

I cant see quite where you are comming from here pokies are easyer and safer to keep than a murins. Pokies are just defencive and will run where as murinos will stand their ground and fight. From all I have heard from others and seen with my own spiders murinos are more likely to tag you than a pokie. I belive the genreal consensous is that pokies are less agressive and so lower down on the experiance scale than murinous are due to temperment.

Comment

Sarah,

When I purchased the murinus I was very aware of it's reputation, this was a big part of my choice. From what I have read the venom is not as potent as a pokie's, but it's attitude makes up for it.

I however would not suggest this as a first spider, for someone starting the hobby.

Comment

Pokes are not as dangerous or as agressive as they are made out to be (with the exception of P ornata).

If we were ever to suggest a "scale" of spiders for people to work from for gaining experiance i would have P. regalis closer to the beginners end than P. murinus. P. subfusca would be even closer still to the beginners end but these are hard to come by.

Ray

Comment

Ray,

My main concern would be people not purchasing these for the hobby, but for more sinister plans.

I am thinking of the guy who mailed a B. smithi to a former co-worker, imagine for a moment if that was the P. ornata you mentioned, or a deathstalker scorpion.

The hobby would definetly suffer.

Comment

I agree, thered be all sorts of arguments in government about anyone of any age keeping any exotic pets, if your average receptionist was to open a parcel and out jumped an angry improperly packaged, hungry and stressed H.Lividum or P.ornata which attacked in confusion.

Comment

Brian my point was that a pokie would be less likey to bite than a murinous so the venom potancy is not really as much of an issue. Which is why I think you should have just gone for the pokie now and the murinous later on. I share your concerns about higher experiance species getting brought for sinister reasons that concerns me as well.

Comment

Perhaps you are correct, I have pondered that myself. However the murinus was considerably cheaper than the pokie I was after.

Comment

true you always have to factor cost in to buying a T as well.

Comment

tarantulas

i think that all shop owners should be sensible enough to decide weather or not they should sell t`s to children as for people who sell on here there should be an age input for people to be able to register on here and to be able to buy.
                          B.Smithi
                          G.Rosea (RCF)
                          B.Vagans
                          P.Irminia
                          A.Avicularia
                          L.Parahybana

Comment

Working...
                          X