No announcement yet.

ebay selling setups with slings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh had to Google that one, what a nice looking T it is too!
    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
    Ray Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew climance View Post
      I thought it illustrated quite nicely the buy/don't buy dilemma... As you say, it's up to the buyer to take their chances.

If anyone has any Ancylometes bogotensis, by the way...
      Andrew, you take your chance when you buy a spider from anywhere, a petshop, ebay, the BTS bulletin board. It's how those chances are resolved that makes the difference. I bought a number of spiders from the Spidershop. One was DOA and so Lee sent me another, so I have bought a good number of slings from him since. I bought 25 Red Knee slings from another on-line seller (I won't name), after I complained about the length of time they took to deliver 28 arrived nearly 10 days later, 5 were DOA and a further 10 were dead within a week. He won't ever get another order from me.

Now when you buy from a seller on ebay - he or she has to provide you a good product and service, other wise they will quickly get negative feedback about their products. As Nigel will agree, negative feedback will have a big impact on future sales especially when you sell many duplicates of the same product. In many respects this actually gives the buyer more protection and incentive to buy from ebuyer than say an online spider seller.

My advice to anyone buying a spider from ebuyer would be check the sellers reputation and make your decision based on that. It's a shame we can't do the same for some of the other on-line spider sellers that frequent the BTS membership!

I think the positives for buying a spider via ebay are certainly being proved, regardless of whether it's against the rules!! I need to be careful here, I am going to start an epidemic of sellers in ebay and upset Nige..........
      Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

Originally posted by J M Clegg View Post
        Andrew, you take your chance when you buy a spider from anywhere, a petshop, ebay, the BTS bulletin board. It's how those chances are resolved that makes the difference. I bought a number of spiders from the Spidershop. One was DOA and so Lee sent me another, so I have bought a good number of slings from him since. I bought 25 Red Knee slings from another on-line seller (I won't name), after I complained about the length of time they took to deliver 28 arrived nearly 10 days later, 5 were DOA and a further 10 were dead within a week. He won't ever get another order from me.

Now when you buy from a seller on ebay - he or she has to provide you a good product and service, other wise they will quickly get negative feedback about their products. As Nigel will agree, negative feedback will have a big impact on future sales especially when you sell many duplicates of the same product. In many respects this actually gives the buyer more protection and incentive to buy from ebuyer than say an online spider seller.

My advice to anyone buying a spider from ebuyer would be check the sellers reputation and make your decision based on that. It's a shame we can't do the same for some of the other on-line spider sellers that frequent the BTS membership!

I think the positives for buying a spider via ebay are certainly being proved, regardless of whether it's against the rules!! I need to be careful here, I am going to start an epidemic of sellers in ebay and upset Nige..........

I must say I always check feedback before I buy anything so in that way and many others ebay is a good market place.
        The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Andrew, in my experience people didn't just stumble on my kits, they had actively searched ebay by typing in Tarantula in the search field. I accept though that many did find them by typing in Vivarium, as I sold my kits as "Tarantula Micro Vivarium starter kits" If people are actively looking then they will find what they search. You have to accept that most (not all)people who buy a Tarantula from ebay will have gone looking for it. Maybe Simon and Nigel can answer that one better than me, they both bought kits, I just sold them.
          I was agreeing with you, mate. Sorry if I came across wrong. My point was that it would be fairly unlikely for a 'drifting' eBayer to stumble across such a listing. As you say, it would have to be the result of a fairly specific search - there is as much chance of someone stumbling on, say, The Spider Shop via Google and making a rash purchase, in my opinion.

I also think that breaking such rules are fairly inconsequential in the great scheme of things... but I open myself up to debate on that point, I guess.

Absolutely. I buy and sell on eBay regularly (though not spiders - yet!!!) and would NEVER make a purchase without researching the seller without these rudimentary checks.

I guess I'm pro-eBay! (And have bought millipedes off there!)
          Lasiodora parahybana

Comment

Gee you dont check the BTS for a few days and you miss a whole load of interesting chat ...
            Hi Jay how are you , your typing fingers must be acheing mate....You've been a very busy bod!!!

First things first Jay , I merely meant that its your fault that I got into the whole spider scene, So not blaming you as such , I did however search for Vivarium , But Liked the thought of a Real Live Tarantula.. Thats why I bought , and I suppose out of curiosity too.
            Anyway Rosie {yeah I know Its not original} Is doing Just fine , molted again recently , and a fair bit bigger than when it arrived .. Along with the other 94 Tarantulas that I now have aswell as 24 scorpions and they are all FINE !!!!!!
            Seems that it caught a part of me that hadnt quite surfaced and really gripped me, I have always had an interest in all things living , plants and animals alike, but had never actually gone down the invert road .Well i'm very pleased that I have as I now have a room full of them .
            Tarantulas {many species large & small}
            Scorpions 6 diffrent species
            2 Trapdoor spiders { pretty agressive beasts}
            as well as
            Mantid's
            Millipedes
            Hissing Roaches
            Blaberous species
            Deathsheads
            I am also pleased to announce that last week I actually had a successful{i hope} mating of a pair of adult G.Rosea , and I;ve only had T's for around 8 months .All Down to your kit Jay thats where the spark started and thats the reason you get the blame .....ha ha
            You see , everything that you were selling I also copied , well not copied but sought and bought .Millipedes and mantid's and Roaches .
            So I am in fact only here through my purchase from you , which is proof in itself that you are responsible for bringing new members to the BTS ..{sorry i think that was actually on the old ebay thread} .
            I have to agree with you 100% when it comes to people reporting to ebay that it is in fact sour grapes , people dont like to see others making a few quid and again to confirm your point its is a mere few quid , I reckon that the Post office, ebay and Paypal make a bigger profit than I do .In one calendar month I actually spent £50 on livefood, I now try to breed a lot of my own.I do actually enjoy telling people via email questions the small amount of knowledge that I have gained in the time i've kept tarantulas, and then getting an order , and another order .One particular chap has actually purchased 8 diffrent Tarantulas from me privatly after first buying from ebay .Also another buyer is a head science teacher and a multiple Tarantula buyer..
            For all those reading this thread I am not selling any Tarantulas at the present time as I am concentrating on growing the Tarantulas on and sell them in the spring though doubtfull if I will list any more via Ebay ....
            I feel that there will always be somebody eager to report it on this forum and then someone else report it to ebay , But it wont deter me from Buying ,Keeping and hopefully Breeding Tarantulas in the future , My aim is to breed Avicularia's {many types} as these fascinate me.
            Basically what both Jay & myself are /were doing is only increasing an interest in the hobby, nothing less.
            Why people have to side with ebay is completly beyond me ...
            www.eightleggedfreak.co.uk

Comment

Hi Nigel,

It appears "I created a monster"......................

I am glad you wrote that Nigel, as it proved my point all along. As long as people are buying we are bringing new people into the hobby and also into the BTS. Our actions should have commended not attacked.

If I am to blame (lol) then, OK - I will live with it. If everyone who you have sold a spider to has benefited from my original idea, then again I will have to live with it. If I started it then OK, I am the Daddy and you are all my children!!!!!!!

Laughing as always,

Jay.
              Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

Hello Jay !!!{The Daddy}
                Regardless of whether I sell another T' or not , I'm very glad you started me out on this "hobby" I have so many lovely T's and get a real Pleasure from them .
                I may decide to advertise a few in the spring on ebay , But as yet I am undecided . Hopefully the Lil spiders that I have here will all have molted 2-3 times and so be more suitable for selling to other keepers ?? or swapping for other species, Plus it would save all the hassles of trying to sell on ebay ..We shall have to wait and see .. Watch this space.
                Kind Regards To you All
                Nige
                www.eightleggedfreak.co.uk

Comment

I can only say that here where I live - in Poland we have our own e buy --> allegro.pl ( as well as we have e buy :] ) and there is special category for us to sell spiders :] it is nothing bad in this as it reduce chance of being cheated ! If You are new to the hobby You dont know who is trusted in our community so you may buy in pet shop for more then 10* price , buy at auction or rock Your money buying on board ( of course You canasc who is trusted but be real :] you wont :] )

si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper

Comment

Originally posted by BakuBak View Post
                    I can only say that here where I live - in Poland we have our own e buy --> allegro.pl ( as well as we have e buy :] ) and there is special category for us to sell spiders :] it is nothing bad in this as it reduce chance of being cheated ! If You are new to the hobby You dont know who is trusted in our community so you may buy in pet shop for more then 10* price , buy at auction or rock Your money buying on board ( of course You canasc who is trusted but be real :] you wont :] )

http://www.allegro.pl/10768_terrarystyka.html
                    thats pretty cool
                    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Working...
                    X