Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mites in White Satin...

Hi Spider Lovers...

I've had a quick mooch around for the answer to this question - but not found anything conclusive.

My Curly Hair has been rubbing itself on it's bark and there are tiny white specs on him. Is there any way to tell that they are mites and is there anything I can do to get rid of them (other than remove spid, clean tank and replace with clean vermiculite)?

I'm guessing that there's no chemical cure for them as they're arachnids also (aren't they)?

Are mites merely parasitic or are they pathogenic?

What do they actucally look like? Anyone got any pictures...?

Kind Regards,
    Ben

Are they mites or spring tails, mites are round looking like opaque pin heads and accumilate around the mouth parts book lung openings and joints usually if badly infested, spring tails usually set up home on a water dish or to sodden substrate and are more shrimp shape for want of a better discription. Cool the T down and remove it from the tank then brush with a small paint brush as many of the mites off as you can, also you can use a bit of vasaline on a cotton bud to dab them up too as they stick to it. Vermiculite is completely inert so the mites will only bloom if waste food matter is left in the tank they also like the high humidity. clean the tank and replace her keeping the mites at bay as i have suggested, i would then feed it like mad to try to induce a moult or hopefully she is close to a moult, watch her closely and hopefully you will be about when she moults as soon as she does give her a few mins to sort her self out and right her self then gently ease her into a jam jar then clean her tank maticulously even give it a couple of mins in a hot oven or micro to steralise it give her new substrate and let the tank settle then put her back this will get the mites to a low and manageable level if not get rid of them if your lucky. A large infestation around the mouth parts is what you do not want as the mites feed on dead and rotting waste matter as far as i know they are not parasitic in the sence they insert mouth parts into the spiders skin to feed but can bung up mouth parts and book lungs if infested leading to incy wincy's demise interesting little buggers under a micro scope though. Oh failing that napalm is a nother option
    A man who makes no mistakes makes nothing.

Comment

Mites...!

Thanks for that. It's a bit weird as only ever give the T one cricket at a time, and if it doesn't eat it I remove it straight away...

I'll have a closer look tonight. The spider's just finished making the most elaborate nest as well... DOH! She's going to well gutted when I clean it all out and destroy it!

Kind Regards,
      Ben

Comment

Are these mites...? Or just Vermiculite...?

Here is image of spiddy. Are these mites by his mouth, or just vermiculite where he has been digging..? I'm not sure what mites look like, or how big they are.

I tried wiping some off and he wasn't impressed.

Kind Regards,
        Ben
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by benmaffin View Post
          Here is image of spiddy. Are these mites by his mouth, or just vermiculite where he has been digging..? I'm not sure what mites look like, or how big they are.

I tried wiping some off and he wasn't impressed.

Kind Regards,
          Ben
          Cool it down a little first on a cool room on the window sill, to slow it down a bit, that will help with the removal.. if they move there mites if they dont its vermiculite seriously mites look like little opaque creamy round pin heads, a magnifying lense would help, good bit of kit to have if keeping spiders. Cant really see by the photo..
          A man who makes no mistakes makes nothing.

Comment

Mites...?

I've got a really hi res photo - but the board only lets you upload smaller images. I'll find some webspace and upload a better picture.

Comment

Hi there, sorry to nick your thread, but I also seem to have the same problem. However they are not round pinhead shaped and seem to be more prolific within the water bowl and surrounding area. They are also in the substrate which I admit I got too moist. If they are springtails how do you get rid of them? They are only about 1mm long and I only noticed them today.I saw none yesterday. Thanks in advance, Christine the newbie

Comment

the best thing to do is to take the T out and replace its substrate with fresh, if using soil/peat/coir microwave it for 10mins to ensure it is sterile, give the water dish a good scubbing.
                Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
                Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
                P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Comment

ben email me the image ill post it on my gallery and put the link on here if you like
                  http://www.spidersfromtheweb.co.uk

http://www.spidersfromtheweb.com

A.Geniculata
                  B.Boehmi
                  B.Smithi
                  C.Crawshayi
                  H.Lividum
                  H.Minax
                  H.Schmidti
                  L.Parahybana
                  O.Aureotibialis
                  P.Canceridies
                  P.Chordatus
                  P.Frasciata
                  P.Murinus
                  P.Regalis
                  T.Blondi

Comment

thanks for the info Lee. She has only been in the tank just over a week. I can't believe they appeared so quickly. One other question, are they harmful to the t?

Comment

i got rid of an infestation of sringtails by taking out the T and using an old steam iron on the substrate. after that i let the substrate dry out a bit...i was never bothered again after that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by seanrayns View Post
                        i got rid of an infestation of sringtails by taking out the T and using an old steam iron on the substrate. after that i let the substrate dry out a bit...i was never bothered again after that!!!
                        So, you literally steam cleaned the substrate?? That's a brilliant idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
                          So, you literally steam cleaned the substrate?? That's a brilliant idea.
                          It worked for me and was a 10 minute job instead of replacing the whole substrate which would take longer and be far messier!!

Comment

Originally posted by seanrayns View Post
                            It worked for me and was a 10 minute job instead of replacing the whole substrate which would take longer and be far messier!!
                            You're a genius!! Cheers for the info, it's much appreciated.

Comment

'Mite' just be vermiculite dust?

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X