Aphonopelma or Brachypelma???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John chambers View Post
    hi if you go to YouTube and put in A. bicolouratum your see if this is one.
    to me it looks very much a.bicolouratum .
    cheers.
    John
    I think the orange in A.bicoloratum is more a foxy brown,less vivid, also the carapace looks different, and is usually contrasting in Brachys?
    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
    Ray Gabriel

Comment

I can't see most of the pics, but I guess thats cos this thread is 3 years old lol

I think side by side, B. boehmei and A. bicoloratum are quite different though.

x x x
      Owner of:
      A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
      Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
      Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

Yes, the thread is three years old.. so i cant see the original pictures now to comment!

But,
        A.bicoloratum are always lighter orangish, while B.boehmei often become more reddish as they mature (but can be the same orangish when subadults).
        To me the easiest way to seperate them is the shape of the carapace, A.bicoloratum have a raised front area (this is called the caput), which is high like north american Aphonopelma, and is related to having stronger musculature for larger more robust chelicerae, while in the redleg Brachypelma the carapace is lower and flatter, ie so doesnt have an 'elevated caput'. And yes, the Brachypelma carapace may have contrasting marks, like black sections on the carapace, while in A.bicoloratum it is always a single uniform color... (unless anyone can dispute this to me)

There are several other features to distinguish them, but the elevated carapace front (raised caput) on A.bicoloratum seems an easy way to tel them apart..
        British Tarantula Society
        My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Working...
        X