Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At risk of repeating myself, I do come back to the fact that an adult female Chicken Spider was compared to the type of P. antinious and the differences were significantly different for it to be "Split" rather than "Lumped"

Without my notes I can't give specifics however, I do remember the occular arrangement and dimmensions of leg 4 were key markers in this. Colour, as all taxonomists will tell you (again and again and again!!) is not a marker, although it is sorely tempting with some spiders.

The reason a description paper was not published was basically because we had only one specimen and no male. This would make a flimsy identification paper, open to review, revision (and ridicule!)

I have huge respect for Todd's experience with Pamphobeteus and would defer to him on the subject in almost every case, but (once again repeating myself from my previous post) no one knows or is going to know for sure until at least 3 females and a male are keyed out properly.

With Craigs kind assistance we should be able to answer the riddle, publish the paper and get on with studying these beasts.

On a tangent, Craig - did you see the narrow-mouth Microhylid frog Chiasmocleis ventrimaculatata in any of the burrows? it looks like this;

The general theory is that the spiders tolerate the frog down their burrow as it eats ants, ticks, parasitic flies etc, in return the frog obviously gets the sort of security that only comes with multiple giant hairy spiders! This symbiotic relationship is far from unique to the Chicken Spider and I have heard several reports of similar behaviour from India North America and SE Asia.
    Attached Files
    The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

Comment

i've heard of that relationship with Xenesthis immanis...

i can't wait til this particular species is classified and studied more. i'll definitely want to obtain some eventually, too. having such an amazing animal in a colony would be a fantastic thing.

thanks for all the information Craig and Martin!
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Actually James, The Chicken Spider was misidentified as X. immansis by a zoologist for the purposes of a paper written re. the relationship between spider and frog - that could be where you heard the story. It was from this researcher that I obtained my preserved specimen.

Maybe immansis DOES live with a frog as well - who knows!
        The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

Comment

If you follow in someone else footsteps you'll allways be behind them.

Couldn't resist it .. Have a good weekend everyone..

Comment

I have got to say this easily the best thread that has appeared on these forums for a long long time. I have got bored with people telling the world they have just ordered another sling - or advising us that their spider successfully moulted last night.............Whilst I applaud newbie enthusiasm, it does get a little tiresome.

This is a proper thread, very interesting and very exciting. I hope there are a few more Craig Bellamy's out there somewhere. Well done Craig, brilliant topic, brilliant thread and very informative.
            Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

I agree with Jay...
              though I myself do quite enjoy reading about what other people have added to their collection, hey, i've posted about them myself, added a few funny comments etc, all part of forum life.
              Newcomers need to feel included in the whole picture and not left out of the techy stuff, and this thread's just an example of this.
              At the end of the day, this is what arachnology is all about, and Jay's absolutely right in what he says about needing more enthusiasts out there like Craig, Martin, Ray etc etc etc

After 37 years of keeping spiders and reading everyday info in books and on forums, i have to add that this is an absolutely riveting thread, congratulations to all who have contributed so far, and i hope it goes on for another 90 odd posts
              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

ahh i can see how that could happen with the misidentification of this spider as X immanis!
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

NE Peru P. antinous mature male with blue-purple sheen on femurs of all legs

Just to stir up more debate here. See this pic of a mature male P. antinous (from NE Peru). Legs 3 and 4 have the blue-purple sheen. Not just legs 1 and 2.

Todd

Comment

Hi Todd,

I already mentioned that in my previous post below...

Originally posted by Craig Bellamy View Post

A) steely blue on CS is strictly only on 1st and 2nd Femurs whereas P.antinous is clearly on all 4.
                    I think its time to kill the P.antinous comparison, no idea why everyone is comparing a T they have never laid their hands on to one which looks mildy similar in a photo. As Martin said, there is a clear difference in the occular arrangement and leg 4 and I can confirm myself after having kept both species that there is no comparison, any more than T.Blondi and T.Apophysis, which incidentally were also commonly mistaken before Apophysis were firmly in the trade.

To continue the anatomical discussion, I shall soon be posting an occular photo of the CS in both male and female. If anyone would be kind enough to take close up occular pictures of other Pamphobeteus species adult female so we can get a picture log of the all the known species and do a little comparison. This should provide an interesting point for discussion and research as well as educate others within the forum that thought identification was just about colouring

Regards
                    Craig

Originally posted by Todd Gearheart View Post
                    Just to stir up more debate here. See this pic of a mature male P. antinous (from NE Peru). Legs 3 and 4 have the blue-purple sheen. Not just legs 1 and 2.

Todd
                    Last edited by Craig Bellamy; 08-07-07, 09:16 PM.
                    New iPhone and Android App called iTarantula on the App store now, download below.

iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itarantula/id630537015
                    Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ula.itarantula
                    Facebook: www.facebook.com/www.itarantula.mobi - PLEASE LIKE US
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/iTarantulaApp - PLEASE FOLLOW US

sigpic

Comment

• Enough to make it its own species?

Craig and all:

"...there is a clear difference in the occular arrangement and leg 4"

But is that enough to warrant it being described as a new species? I've heard some talking about T. apophysis and T. blondi being the same enough though the mature males are different due to one having tibial spurs and the other lacks them. Imports are showing T. apophysis females produce spiderlings without "pink" feet and T. blondi females produce spiderlings with the pink feet. ??? Figure that one out.

To me, this still comes down to the taxonomy debate between lumpers and splitters. Every year, Dr. Schmidt describes a new species. Then, three years later, Platnick takes it off the World Spider Catalog - again. Some taxonomists do not agree certain identifying characters warrant it enough to be described as a new species. Lumpers would say it's a geographical morph of the same species.

Until lumpers and splitters can come together on this, you will have two camps in the hobby. One great example would be the current screwed up deal with:

Pamphobeteus sp. "Ecuador"
                      Pamphobeteus sp. "Ecuador, type II"
                      Pamphobeteus sp. "South Ecuador/ Machalla"

Lumpers would probably say all three are geographical morphs of P. nigricolor. Spiltters will argue they are new species in the genus.

Todd

Comment

• I just want to say that I have enjoyed following this thread so far, although it is way out of my league at the moment. Way too technical for me.
                        B. boehmei - T. blondi - G. rosea x 5 -
                        C. cyaneopubescens - N. chromatus -
                        L. parahybana - H. maculata x 2 - G. aureostriata
                        P. irminia - P. murinus

Comment

• wow very interesting!thanks for sharing.mabey it would be a good idea to distribute some of these slings to other breeders to establish this species more in the hobby.seeing this thread also makes me wonder what other species of Phamphos could do well in a communal habitat such as these

Comment

• Hi Chris...
                            If it's go over 10+ years back starting our hobby in WWW the were some Pamphobeteus species calling "P. nigricolor" and it was blamed to live colonial in the wild by exporters. Maybe some other who worked with those SA exporters had more info (I mean Mark Hart, USA, and some others incl. discussing this topic too...)
                            I don't have any info about that several of them inhabits the same burrow, but I see no reason why not...
                            We had this notorious and famous CS also for a looooong time in hobby, even in Russia, but nobody had a clue to start keep them communally before...
                            I do not reffer to P. petersi once again as it is makes no sence.

In fact we still know about tarantulas very little and if goes over the "standard point of view" what other we can expect? I believe - anything as the whole world start to collecting some real knowledge of them just fairly recently...

Ignore me... i start to talk much again...
                            All the best,
                            Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

• yes there certainly is alot to learn about these creatures still.i could imagine it would be quite a site to see a giant colony of these living together in the wild.i think the social aspects of theraphosids is a very interesting subject that i would like to learn more about.

Comment

• Fascinating thread, REALLY! I can't wait for someone to try other Pamphobeteus sp. communally.
                                Last edited by Taki Tsonis; 19-07-07, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X