No announcement yet.

Question for the blokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to melt holes too, with a 4mm diameter knitting needle. Was just too much hassle heating it up, so just use a cordless drill and pick off the burrs if it looks too bad. Try to drill lids from the inside where possible, so the sharpies are on the outside.
    And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine Ross View Post
      I'm drilling airholes in tubs for tarantula's, ... Help? ...

Assuming your tubs are plastic (polyethylene)-

Instead, find a couple of nails about 2/3 the size of the holes you want. Using a pair of pliers, heat them on your kitchen range (stove) until they're nice and hot but not necessarily glowing. Then, using the pliers, melt the holes from the inside out. That'll leave a little, raised ring of plastic on the inside of the tub around the hole, but no sharp points or edges. (Melting from the outside in will leave a ring on the outside of the tub.)

You can speed up the process by switching back and forth between two or three different nails.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your tarantulas!
      The Tarantula Whisperer!
      Stan Schultz
      Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
      Private messaging is turned OFF!
      Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Hi
        Cheap soldering iron

Cheers
        Chris

Comment

No need for blacksmithing . I use an el cheapo soldering iron (in a well-ventilated area). If you want to splurge you can get one with different diameter tips for "hole size variety".

Best, Michael
          Last edited by Michael Jacobi; 05-08-07, 11:32 PM.
          MICHAEL JACOBI - exoticfauna@gmail.com
          -> Exotic Fauna, The Tarantula Bibliography, ARACHNOCULTURE E-Zine - exoticfauna.com
          -> The British Tarantula Society - thebts.co.uk
          | michael.jacobi@thebts.co.uk
          -> TARANTULAS.com - tarantulas.com

Comment

Thanks guys, it looks like a trip to the hardware store is in order

Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Here's a couple of choices for a 100% professional job.

put this in your drill and chamfer both inside and outside holes.

or this used alone works great too.

Comment

Thanks Trevor. That second pic look ike the type of tool that would come in handy. I will have a look next time I go to the hardware store.

Elaine

Comment

upon a second look at my previous post it sounds completely wrong.

The second tool can't "be used alone" there must already be holes there, but no need to install it into a drill to deburr/chamfer the holes. Maybe one day I'll take pics or a video of me using it.

I prefer the first tool especially for large containers that the drill fits inside because its a fair bit quicker. When the drill won't fit I then resort to the second tool.

Comment

Ok, thanks Trevor. I have an old tub here I can practise on as I have some new ones coming that will need to have ventilation holes done.

Elaine

Comment

Tut Tut, Elaine! Us girls dont NEED men to do these jobs, we can do em ourselves, men just come in handy to save us the trouble lol.
                      When i drill holes I use selotape b4 drilling, that saves the plastic cracking (same as drilling ceramic tiles) Otherwise drill the lid from the underside and the rough bits will be outwards. If drilling in the side of the tank, Neils idea is good, use a peice of wood. Sand paper will scratch the plastic but a stanley knife will easily remove the debris.
                      J x

Comment

Lol Jay, you are right, I dont need a man to do the job just a few helpful hints to get me going I'm quite enjoying learning to do things for myself. I would usually have talked my late husband into doing them for me lol.
                        Thanks for the tips.
                        Elaine x

Comment

Working...
                        X