This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wesley flower View Post
    i was not at all getting at that i would challenge Andys findings, but i would like to study and further my knoweledge of this great genus, and i love finding things out for myself and working for what i know, instead of letting smeone else do the work and read it in a book i have always dreamt of studying spiders on a high level, and due to illness i was unable to go to uni etc so i am stuck at home still wanting to do this with great enthusiasm.
    Acanthoscurria need looking into no one has done that, dont know of anyone who will neither.

Hablar espanol?

Ray

Comment

• well well well. I have missed out on some good discussion. All I have to say is two things.

1. Tesco I think using the subfusca/ rufilata thing is a low blow as I am sure who ever told you about it might have if not, should have mentioned that it was not done on purpose.
      And saying simon should have known it was a rufilata will not be accepted. As he has loads on his hands when it comes to breeding, so when some one says hey I will send you a subie male is he supposed to question it. shouldn't have too.

2. As far as the 'Lowland/highland' I am on the same side as simon I have seen his subie's and we have talked about them. I have much respect for him and his respect for his animals. I say what would be wrong with everyone holding back on trying to breed Highland with lowlands till we know or we may just destroy a 2 true specie's if we are wrong. I will never put a Highland with a Lowland till I know the are or aren't the same. I would rather be safe then sorry.

This is just the problem dealers and common names...
      Last edited by Toran Tanner; 24-01-08, 08:51 PM.
      "The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
      Jeremy Bentham

Comment

• no matey i cant speak spanish, i done it for a few years at school, so it is very basic.
        i am not as interested in the New world species as i am the old world, (as you know i approached you about the revision of Hysterocrates)

Comment

• Hi Mr Toran or is it T?

well well well. I have missed out on some good discussion.
          It seems to me that you have still missed out on some good discussion as you are about to see, as I do not think you have read this entire thread and instead just skipped though it without paying any real attention. If you had then I don't think you would have said the following:-

1. Tesco I think using the subfusca/ rufilata thing is a low blow as I am sure who ever told you about it might have if not, should have mentioned that it was not done on purpose.
          Firstly All what I said about the P. subfusca X P. rufilata was (and I quote):-
          Yes that would be almost as bad as cross breeding P. rufilata with P. subfusca wouldn't it!!!!
          (post 24 I believe)

and
          I can't see them being a different species as a reason for them not mating, after all isn't there a good number of Poecilotheria crosses knocking about in the hobby all ready? I have even heard of a subfusca x rufilata cross, so I find it hard to buy into that reason.
          (post 51 I believe near the bottom)

At NO point did I, or indeed even suggest that the breeding was the product of Mr Goldsborough. Sure I fully admit that I knew dam well that Mr Goldsborough would know what I was talking about, and I knew dam well that the remarks would anoy him somewhat (I have my reasons) but that is as far as I went with the topic.
          All the rest of the Information was provided by Mr Goldsborough himself including that he was responsible for the breeding. I have and had NO part in this and can NOT be blamed for bad reading on his and now it seems your side.

And saying simon should have known it was a rufilata will not be accepted
          And if you can find one single post where I have said this I will personely give you a strawberry flavour bubble gum!....

Oh you can't?.... Well I guess I get to keep my strawberry flavour bubble gum all my self.! How lucky can one guy be?

As he has loads on his hands when it comes to breeding, so when some one says hey I will send you a subie male is he supposed to question it. should have too.
          You think I care either way if he questions it or not? You think I care he has loads on his hands?
          Come on I don't give him that much thought and certainly not enough to care for such matters.

So Mr Toran or Mr T whichever? (so much for the real names idea)

Please if you are going to show grievance over my posts please do it showing facts you can see rather than one you want to see but don't exist.

BTW By looking at my user name, you will see it is Chris Sainsbury or Mr Sainsbury if you like. My user name of Tescos does not go on this board as Mr Pennell said he wants it to me a real name forum.

All the best
          Chris
          Last edited by Chris Sainsbury; 24-01-08, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• So Mr Toran or Mr T whichever? (so much for the real names idea)
            "Actually a rather good point, and this has been addressed. I hold my hand up to this one, its been on the cards to update everyone's name. This is now done and I remind everyone of the real name policy."

Please contact me to update there usernames.

Regards
            Mark

------------------------------------------------------
            Serious Ink tattoo studio -
            Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

• Nice one Mr Pennell. Although I shouldn't really have brought that up like I did sorry for that. It is much nicer to know who you are talking to though.
              All the best
              Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Sainsbury View Post
                Hi Mr Toran or is it T?

It seems to me that you have still missed out on some good discussion as you are about to see, as I do not think you have read this entire thread and instead just skipped though it without paying any real attention. If you had then I don't think you would have said the following:-

Firstly All what I said about the P. subfusca X P. rufilata was (and I quote):-
                (post 24 I believe)

and
                (post 51 I believe near the bottom)

At NO point did I, or indeed even suggest that the breeding was the product of Mr Goldsborough. Sure I fully admit that I knew dam well that Mr Goldsborough would know what I was talking about, and I knew dam well that the remarks would anoy him somewhat (I have my reasons) but that is as far as I went with the topic.
                All the rest of the Information was provided by Mr Goldsborough himself including that he was responsible for the breeding. I have and had NO part in this and can NOT be blamed for bad reading on his and now it seems your side.

And if you can find one single post where I have said this I will personely give you a strawberry flavour bubble gum!....

Oh you can't?.... Well I guess I get to keep my strawberry flavour bubble gum all my self.! How lucky can one guy be?

You think I care either way if he questions it or not? You think I care he has loads on his hands?
                Come on I don't give him that much thought and certainly not enough to care for such matters.

So Mr Toran or Mr T whichever? (so much for the real names idea)

Please if you are going to show grievance over my posts please do it showing facts you can see rather than one you want to see but don't exist.

BTW By looking at my user name, you will see it is Chris Sainsbury or Mr Sainsbury if you like. My user name of Tescos does not go on this board as Mr Pennell said he wants it to me a real name forum.

All the best
                Chris
                Sorry chris I didn't realize that when I posted it. I am glad you were able to dissect that from my from my whole post. And tear this thread further from the point of it, that being ? next you'll be pointing out my grammer right.

This quote
                Originally posted by Chris Sainsbury View Post
                And saying simon should have known it was a rufilata will not be accepted
                was for future ref so you could not say that and have it count...

as for

grievance
                you are the one expressing this with every post you have dissected.

again
                Sure I fully admit that I knew dam well that Mr Goldsborough would know what I was talking about, and I knew dam well that the remarks would anoy him somewhat (I have my reasons) but that is as far as I went with the topic.
                again I say a low blow and you admit to doing it...

you must do, you brought it up a few times...

/QUOTE] Please if you are going to show grievance over my posts please do it showing facts you can see rather than one you want to see but don't exist.
                could you do the same as I have read this whole thread Oh hold on I'll grab that other quote you made just hang on

got it
                as I do not think you have read this entire thread and instead just skipped though it without paying any real attention. If you had then I don't think you would have said the following:-
                anyhow I am done showing you how easy it is to dissect something to make a false points.
                So lose your attitude and be apart of a community not pulling low blows and working together .

IN ending I believe in Highlands and Lowlands and I think it would be smart of everyone to keep them seperate till we know more.

My 2 cents
                Last edited by Toran Tanner; 24-01-08, 09:03 PM.
                "The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
                Jeremy Bentham

Comment

• Just wanted to chime in here.

I have "highland" material here which I have mated and bred numerous time. They are all offspring from the same import, but consist of large dark specimens which looks identical with "lowland" material, and smaller more mottled specimens which we could call "highland" material. Funny enough there were also collected two almost uniformly black specimen at the same locality, they sadly didn't breed in captivity and was later pickled when deceased.

So de facto we have here the example of three interspecific variations of subfusca collected in one field. The interesting bit is that the "highland" and "lowland" forms appeared mixed in every egg sac ... non regarding the males affinity ... however - no uniform blacks has been encountered so far.

I once mentioned that the type of P. bara were the largest recorded P. subfusca and that it was found in the lowland, fact is that "P. bara" is from the Knuckles range (which is not lowland at all). Another fact is that the "lowland" species in the trade to my knowledge is not from the Knuckles Range ... and not from the lowland at all. Actually no variation of P. subfusca can be termed "lowland" as none are found below the foot hills, but that is another story ...

The reluctance to accept that species are variable is interesting as interspecific variation is one of the key concept of Darwins evolutionary theory. Also people mention that color is the main identification feautre, which is nonsense. Fact is that leg patterns (not colors) can be used in field identification, but that the combined characters of embolus shape and keels, spermathecae, stridulating organ morphology, femoral fringes, LI/LIV relations and LI/carapace relations with a few others are the main distinguishing characters => morphological taxonomy. In this regard it appears that "highland" and "lowland" are the same, which points to the fact that we have to interbreedable, sympatric forms of one species - namely P. subfusca.

The only specimens that are not fitting in this scheme is the uniform black ones, but whether that is because they are freaks of nature, or new species or rare mutations only time will tell.

Since it appears that both forms are present in one eggsac I see no reason to keep the forms seperate, except if one wants to empathise the different forms in line breeding. One to his own.

Yes - I promise to take the time to photograph the two forms (from the same plateau) and the pickled black ones ... and post links to the pictures here

Regards
                  Søren

Comment

• This thread is now locked.
                    An interesting debate that has yet again gone so far off topic now its pointless to leave it open.

I thank everyone one for their contributions to this thread and although heated at times it was progressive and educational.

If however someone has valid points to make in this thread I may re open it. Later in the day.

I blame no one person for this action of locking this thread. My apologies to both Toran and Chris, and it is unfortunate that they where the last users to post, they are not to blame either. Toran and Chris you have my PM's by now.

And of course apologise Soren, who has just posted while I was writing this - if you let me know when you are ready to post your images I will re open this thread.

Regards
                    Mark Pennell
                    BTS IT Dept
                    Administrator.

RULES
                    REALNAMES
                    Last edited by Mark Pennell; 24-01-08, 09:51 PM.

------------------------------------------------------
                    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
                    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
                    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                    X