Change of Species

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
    Lycosa tarantula is a common wolf spider in southern italy (species named after being widespread around the area of the city Taranto)
    In the early days the bite of a Lycosa tarantula was considered to be fatal (and cause tarantism) and so the bitten victim used to dance the Tarantella to purge the venom from the body by sweating, fever etc.
    Through the ages the word *Tarantula* has been adopted by many cultures to be the collective description of large spiders, this includes any spider large enough to have a fearsome appearance and, due to folk law, be able to give a fatal bite.
    In reality it was the bite of the mediteranean black widow that many people died of, and through word of mouth from village to village the size of the spider grew and the time it took for the person to die shortened.
    Well, that's what i heard - I confused the information though; I sort of forgot it and then remembered about the spider called 'tarantula' and said my info from that - not good but glad you coukld enlighten us!

Thanks,

Rich!
    Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
    Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X