Captive Breed and Release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captive Breed and Release?

Have there been many examples of attempts to re-introduce arachnid populations? I was just curious to know whether there have been any active in-situ conservation efforts and were they successful. Anybody got any information?

I've wondered about this myself, but the only thing I've come across is this thread:

I've seen many people claim to be helping conservation efforts but I think there's probably a lot of hurdles to cross. I'd have thought the cost alone of reintroducing captive bred specimens would make most intentions uneconomical. I'd also think the authorities in a given country would be reluctant to take specimens on simple assurance that its the correct species. They'd probably be quite concerned about introducing alien pests too.
    It would be interesting to know whether some of the countries that have export bans on their natural species use the same ban on importations.
    Hopefully someone can enlighten us with a more positive answer.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

The bottom line is that there aren't any examples of theraphosid species which are so endangered that they require such interventionist conservation measures.

At the end of the day conservation of theraphosid spiders hinges on the preservation of their natural habitat and this can be achieved by protecting so called "charismatic megafauna" which inhabits the same habitat. Protect a tiger's habitat and you protect all the other species which inhabit that environment.

Why risk spreading captive pathogens which may have jumped species (and hobby produced hybrid stock) into wild populations, when there's no need to do so?

Cheers,
      Richard

Comment

Also not only is there no need for such conservation measures at the moment but there is the security of knowing that there are plenty of people in the hobby who are not into hybridisation who are willing to help should the need arise. And thanks to the BTS plenty of professionals who could make sure that any such programme in the future would not involve hybrid stock. But Richard is right. The trick is not to mess up their natural habitat in the first place.
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

interesting...it's never as easy as just releasing some spiders back in the same area is it?
          but yeah, it's a step in the right direction i suppose if the need should arise.
          i like that about charismatic megafauna...people don't take pity on the "creepy crawlies" like they should, but they'll feel bad for the cute ickle tiger cubs. hypocrites! but such is life.
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
          X