X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently, we from the black country speak Chaucers English, see
    spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

i like Schwarzenoodle's English. i mean C'MAAAAHHHN, it's fantastic over here, let me tell you!
      GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
        However, scientific names, why do they have that term when many are not scientific at all? !!!!
        Originally the scientific name described the appearence or behaviour of the animal (using Latin or Greek or Native European) Hence the phrase to "describe a new species" But now the scientific names are including location, peoples names and even comical attributes.

I'll use a genus (not spider) that will make a good example

Poison tree frogs genus is Dendrobates, from the Greek meaning *one that walks in trees*,
        A species is called azureus, from the native French meaning *blue*
        so what we have there is a scientific name that means "blue tree walker" an apt name for a blue tree frog
        Now if this particular species was found only in Madagascar it would be called Dendrobates azureus madgascariensis.
        Another different example would be the King Snake Lampropeltis
        Lampros = Greek for shiney
        Pelta = Greek for shield
        Both refering to the smooth shiney dorsal scales particular to this genus.

The same is apparent in the whole animal world, although some of the later descriptions and name changes are becoming a little less consistent and refer to the discoverers name making it a little simpler, sedate and less adventurous if you ask me
        Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 08-04-08, 04:31 PM. Reason: added a bit on the end, innit, wicked, safe
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
        X