Ephebopus murinus slings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,
    I know what you mean about the dark colour form Chris, I've only seen pictures but the they are stunning! As for being out and about, the reason for mine being available for pics last month was hilarious. She had an impending moult and decided to extend her burrow, which is at the base of a large bark slab. Only she got her directions wrong and came up the other side of the bark, creating a spid subway!. That was one unamused spider. Anyway she figured it out after a couple of days and blocked the new entrance off. I disturbed her once and that was when she spun round on me, her pedipalps rubbing like she was trying to make fire with sticks. I got another photo opportunity just after she moulted, she came out of her burrow and drank her way through over half a bowl of water (a small exo-terra one). Her abdomen was wrinkled at the time but I made sure she had plenty of water and as soon as those fangs hardened it was cricket banquet time. Next year I'll definitely try breeding her.
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Is this the spider with the common name of "skeleton spider/tarantula"?

And if it is black, what does the dark form look like? Does it just have darker (or no) stripes?

Comment

Hi Kate,
        The standard E. murinus is as above, a black abdomen/legs and a coffee coloured carapace. The dark colour form has a black carapace as well and might be bigger (or am I getting it mixed up with H. lividium). Also some E. murinus have gold stripes on the legs and some white. Mine has the gold ones.

Comment

Thanks Nicola. Looking at that photo and imagining it with a black carapace I can see why the dark form would be so impressive. It's also clear why they have the name 'skeleton spider'. They look like they're wearing a halloween costume

Comment

This is my E. murinus, Effy, having her drink after her moult!

So then she decides why waste water, might as well have a bath whilst she's there!!!!!

At least she's got rid of the wrinkly abdomen now, one happy and healthy spid!

Comment

Working...
            X