No announcement yet.

Hi all Im a Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love a cobalt blue one day. Everyone I've heard talk about them says they're absolute nutters so I'm a little nervous of taking on that challenge as a beginner to the hobby. I'm considering getting an avic. versicolour though. They're absolutely gorgeous. There's so many amazing species out there that I'd love. I'm sure like me, all of our wish lists keep growing!
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Welcome Luke, if you want cambridgei or irminia give me a shout, I have a sac of irminia, half mine and am waiting on a second cambridgei, may have to wait for reduncus though as most of my breeding stock are juves
      spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Just to let yous all know i've posted up my picture of my Tiger Rump in the BTS Tarantula PIX
        Luke Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mackay View Post
          I'd love a cobalt blue one day. Everyone I've heard talk about them says they're absolute nutters so I'm a little nervous of taking on that challenge as a beginner to the hobby. I'm considering getting an avic. versicolour though. They're absolutely gorgeous. There's so many amazing species out there that I'd love. I'm sure like me, all of our wish lists keep growing!
          My advise would be to wait for a while learn more about them and try looking up for caresheets and watch a few videos about them before getting one an avic. versicolour will be perfect i want one myself i love the way they walk
          Luke Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Anthony View Post
            My advise would be to wait for a while learn more about them and try looking up for caresheets and watch a few videos about them before getting one an avic. versicolour will be perfect i want one myself i love the way they walk
            It's when the slings run you gotta worry Luke lol

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Anthony View Post
              Yeah, their walk is so cool. Its so awkward in the cutest way.
              www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

Comment

Originally posted by mary walters View Post
                It's when the slings run you gotta worry Luke lol
                lol they seem kool all the same and what beautiful coulors too
                Luke Anthony

Comment

Yes they are lovely colours Luke, gotta be my favourite genus, I have 4 of the sp here, many individuals. Psalmopeous I am refering to. But I do have a few Avics as well, gotta have a few avics.

Comment

I don't know about the slings Mary, some adults can be fun too! Try catching an adult male Stromatopelma that wants to go on holiday! How much were you thinking of charging for those irminia by the way (interested customer)?

On the subject of Avics, can I put in my opinion? The truth is A

vics are very beautiful, unassuming and gentle. However like all spiders they will stand up for themselves. The trick is to get a good balance between humidity and a good air suoply. Ideally a 5l plastic cereal container with holes in the top, a bit of substrate and some bark or a bark tube for the little one to web on. Double fold some bin liner and selotape this to half the container, giving the spider its dark space. For a sling obviously scale the size down. Lee at the Spider Shop has some A. versicolours for sale at the mo, have a lkok.

As for H. lividium, the main things are humidity and soil depth. Try to give them 6" (15cm) soil depth if possible and keep the humidity high. Some people like again to use csereal containers, as I do myself for juvie burrowers, and put holes along the bottom for drainage. Myself I wouldn't use that much water but if it works, do it. Its true about not seeing them much, but since maturing my female likes to sit at the edge of her burrow in the evening and hunt late at night. On the subject of aggression, I've had my female for 2 years since a sling and she's totally gentle. She got miffed once and stuck her front legs out in a semi-crab posture. It was her aay of saying "I'm not ammused but I can't be bothered to threaten you so you'll have to make do with this". They can be fiesty, I had a male that was last year. Then again he'd just travelled 100 miles so it was understandable. My view on "starter species" is simple. If you are prepared to to be honest and give your pet the care he/she deserves then go for it and all the best! (Lee has some H. lividium for sale too). I started with a P. metallica and found Brachys later, now I think they're both great. Good luck!
                    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Thats good advice Nicola,

me and my pal have had a few hairy moments with stromatopelma calceatums!!!LOL The most recent hairy moment was with Heteroscodra Maculata juvie who, when being relocated to a larger home jump from their existing home on to my arm and run a million miles an hour around my jumper!!! LOL So you started with P. Metallica my and my pal are dying to get our hands on a few metallica slings do you know of any going at the moment???

Michael...
                      2xB.vagans, B.smithi, 2x L.parahybana, L.polycuspulatus, G.aureostriata, C.fasciatum, B.albopilosum, B.boehmei, P.pulcher, H.maculata, C.crawshayi, L.violaceopes, C.cyanopubescens, 3xP.irminia, 2xP.murinus RCF, 2xP.cambridgei, C.fimbriatus, C.schioedtei, A.pupurea, A.azuraklassi, A.versicolor, H.lividum, P.reduncus.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't know of any at the mo, if there's none advertised on this site try the Tarantula Store forums. Good luck!
                        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

i believe www.thespidershop.co.uk has some metallica slings for sale...they aren't the cheapest at £45 each, but they've come down somewhat!
                          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Make sure your avics get some natural light Nicola, too dark and they suffer.

Comment

Working...
                            X