small male A geniculata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small male A geniculata

hello all.a question about my brazilian white knee A geniculata,he moulted 2 days ago after a very boring spell of sitting around doing nothing and he is now a very definate male,tibial spurs and large palps.my question is i was expecting him to be alot bigger,like ALOT BIGGER!!.this was a total shock to me this morning when i checked on my collection to see such a small male.i will try a post a pic and hope you can all see what i mean.
    all those moments will be lost in time.....like tears........in rain

small male A geniculata

my male A genic.is he small or ??

Comment

I have merged the two threads mate, hope you dont mind

I must say from past ownership, it does seem a little small for a male geniculata, mine have all been much leggier and larger.

From the photo, and it might just be my eyes but it looks very Nhandu actually...do you have any larger images
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

male genic??

thanks colin,im useless with computors!! when i bought him it was sold as a A. geniculata and to me he does look like that species altho i am open to suggestions,i will try and post a larger pic later today when ive remembered how to use photobucket lol {hints and tips most welcome}.im not familiar with the species you mention but appreciate anyones advise.

Comment

Comment

nhandu chromatus???

yep im confused aswell.....could what i thought to be my A. geniculata actually be a male NHANDU chromatus???.the carapace on my little chap is darker but that could be due to freshly moulting,the leg stripes are very much like N. chromatus..any ideas??? how big should these Ts be as you can see from the pic mine is tiny the smallest male ive ever had. over to you folks

Comment

Still not sure myself, others may confirm either way, ignoring colour..the general patterning of the spider and frill over the celicerae just doesn't look right...probably wrong though .

Did he lose right leg III in the moult ???

Comment

male ??

yes unfortunately right leg 3 didnt make the moult,was still in the cast when i removed it yesterday.

Comment

Here's a pic of my A. geniculata - "Giant" Brazilian White knee

and here's a pic of my N. chromatus

I'd have said N. chromatus but note the colour of the carapace of my "Nan" compared to yours
                  My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Not to worry Scott, the spider will cope ok.
                    I presume there's no leakage from the area then???,

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                      I'd have said N. chromatus but note the colour of the carapace of my "Nan" compared to yours
                      Nice looking spiders there Peter, i'm sure i've seen a mature Nhandu "somethingus" with a darker carapace like Scotts before somewhere though.

Comment

Hi Scott, for what it's worth, his legs do look shorter, his abdo. is definitely bigger than ours, our A. Geniculata male is very leggy but a much smaller abdo. Yours looks more like our female, confusing init!

Comment

my mini male NHANDU havntaclue

he seems ok with the leg missing i did check to make sure he wasnt leaking from the joint and all is well,i just cant understand why he is so small.ive had a few Ts moult into mature males over the years but when i checked on him today i thought hello your a leggy lil sod then he came out of his burrow and i looked at his palps and thought male,then saw the tibial spurs which proved it,but why so small.baring in mind thats a 2 pint milk bottle lid hes sat next to in the pic..how big should they get?? i am perplexed lol.

Comment

Hi Scott. I had a recently matured male Nhandu chromatus which is now with Linda and your T looks very much like him. He matured at around a 5 inch leg span although his body was very small. See attatched pic, hope it helps.
                            Last edited by Craig Mackay; 14-11-08, 11:14 PM.
                            www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

nhandu thingyjig

hi graig yeah i get it now mate hes quite obviously a male N. chromatus thanks for the pic he looks exactly like yours.ive re-homed him into a bigger tank because his legs are just so damn long now lol.he is very small probably 4" span at a push,hope he lasts abit longer hes been a great spider to keep very fiesty rearing up at everything and anything,and if anyone can use his services later on in breeding give me a yell,even though he is now my only 7 legged T!!.PEACE

Comment

Working...
                              X