No announcement yet.

B.smithi sling Molt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My smithi sling still hasnt moulted. Im spraying the tank every few days to keep humidity up. Tank has a water bowl, and a cork bark hide.

Temperature is roughly 24 degree's.

He/she's kicked all dirt in front of the bark to barricage inside and dug down to just above the bottom of the tank.
    The abdomen is dark in colour with slightly lighter area's i can only presume are from flicking hairs around the inside of the enclosure. I bought him/her roughly a month ago, and she/he's been like this for roughly 3 weeks easily the majority of the time. I've barely seen it outside of the bark or at all. Its in a classic
    25cm wide by roughly 45cm tank, which has been devided off for odvious reasons to give a space of roughly 10 wide by 25 long area.

I've checked to see its ok every few days, since it's sat in there almost a month now so im wondering if its struggling to moult.

I could really use some suggestions because im not sure what the problem is, is it because im worrying bout it too much and disturbing the fella?

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Peachey; 16-11-08, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Micheal, Smithi don't do anything very quick. it's abdo will be black prior to moulting, we've got 3 Smithi, various sizes, the larger one (female) is sometimes 8 weeks off her food before moulting. Difficulty in moulting would only occur when it actually turns on it's back in the moulting position, and has difficulty getting out of it's old skin. Until then don't worry, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Comment

Okey, just another quick question then. It's been off its food for a few weeks now, it did go for a cricket this week once but other then that it seems fairly reluctant to anything. Is it worth putting one in each week so see or simply waiting for the moult first. Mike

Comment

If it is due to moult shortly, it simply won't eat. Sometimes they will kill prey in frustration, they don't want crickets around when they are due to moult. It's a very stressful time for a T and crickets will annoy them. Leave the T quiet, the temp sounds about right and the humidity. Brachys don't like to be wet. We, at the moment, have four different T's all in premoult, and they all vary in the length of time to complete the moult. After they moult they need time to harden off, their fangs are soft and white, and they take 5-7 days usually before they show any interest in food.

Comment

Great okey, cheers linda.

Comment

Mike, was the tank 25cm x 45 cm? that's a big tank, that's for a big Tarantula. Approx. what size is your Smithi?

Comment

Yea roughly thats the size, tank has a divider in on one size reducing the floor space to more like 10 wide by 25 long.

My smithi is just about 2", story behind the tank is that i basically had a pet shop sell me way more then i needed. I looked to them for some advise and they didnt see it fit to tell me i didnt need the tank.

Was in two minds if i should move him/her or not really because i know its too big even with the divider but i'm not sure what to do, could the smithi just be in an environment too big and burrowed itself away for protection or simply in moult prep?

Mike

Comment

This week my smithi successfully made it through its molt Cant believe bright its new colours are, beautiful. Cant see a massive size difference yet, but i'm confident in a few days he/she will be out to look for food to fill its hungry bell haha

Thank you for all the support and advise everyone. In the end the best advise was, leave it to do its stuff hehe

Mike

Comment

Good news then Michael, you'll notice a difference once she starts to eat.

Comment

congrats michael, as with most Ts, the colours on a smithi are amazing fresh from moult
                      THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                      X