Agressive Chile Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mark

Dont know how you got that pic - me and my other half have spent all night arguing about why all the pics wouldnt upload lol! So am I safe to say that Fangs is a male - and if so - how do i cope with his agressive behaviour - how long before he matures and how do you tell hes a male? Will his palps enlarge like the domestic spiders i keep - i have bred several Zygiella X Notata spiders and am fascinated by them. I have the moult that Fangs left - could you tell more from that? and are there any local spider enthusiasts I could get in touch with in the North Yorks area?? thanks x

Comment

Originally posted by Gill Z Brown View Post
      Hi Mark

Dont know how you got that pic - me and my other half have spent all night arguing about why all the pics wouldnt upload lol! So am I safe to say that Fangs is a male - and if so - how do i cope with his agressive behaviour - how long before he matures and how do you tell hes a male? Will his palps enlarge like the domestic spiders i keep - i have bred several Zygiella X Notata spiders and am fascinated by them. I have the moult that Fangs left - could you tell more from that? and are there any local spider enthusiasts I could get in touch with in the North Yorks area?? thanks x
      Gill
      I looked at the link sent that was in a reply, It was just a matter of saving the images and resizing and bingo its online.....

You can send me the skin I will confirm what is, going to be, to be honest I think it might just be a male in waiting, hopefully I am wrong. I will PM you my addy and how to send the skin etc.

Great looking spider and looks well looked after. Showing some real natural colour..

Cheers
      Mark

------------------------------------------------------
      Serious Ink tattoo studio -
      Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Pennell View Post
        Gill
        I looked at the link sent that was in a reply, It was just a matter of saving the images and resizing and bingo its online.....

You can send me the skin I will confirm what is, going to be, to be honest I think it might just be a male in waiting, hopefully I am wrong. I will PM you my addy and how to send the skin etc.

Great looking spider and looks well looked after. Showing some real natural colour..

Cheers
        Mark

Thanks Mark - I'll post it off as soon as i get your details - one of the front legs became detached from the moult as i was removing it from the tank - i will send that too but i hope it doesnt affect the final diagnosis!!! Im still not sure what to call Fangs - him or her lol !

Gill x

Comment

Hi Gill,

A friend of mines G. rosea is very aggressive you cant go near her at all and yes she is female she is around 20 yrs old lol.

Just wondered if you had managed to change the substrate as yet ? as i find that when im doin maintenance i find that cutting a bottle off at one end and coaxing them in that way is a fab method as your not handling or stressing the T out and everyone is happy

Oh and i notice your in N. Yorks... whereabouts as i live in Northallerton

Lynn

Comment

My Chile Rose can get quite aggressive and has tried to bite me once. She always stands her ground and will rear up if she feels threatened. She used to be quite skittish and it was quite a dramatic change. She's quite easy to deal with though as long as you don't put your fingers near the buisness end of her, lol!
            www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hey there,

Our Juvi Rose did this (the scaling of the walls and glass) shortly after we put her into her new home.

She hated it and made it VERY clear to us!

I reckon that maybe your tank is too moist. The minute ours 'dried out' to around 65/68% we coaxed her down. And she was more content.

She is also rather defensive of her 'house'. We dared disturb her coconut, which serves as the entrance to her home (burrow which is underneath the coconut!)... and she got MIFFED! Defended it with fangs and all for a whole day - and now only allowes my daughter to 'sweeten her up' at feeding time!

She is settled down now though (only scale the walls when we mist her home) we've stopped doing that now.. instead we just add more water to the water dish... it seemed to have pacified her enough!

So maybe that is it.

You may have 'disturbed' her home with a shift or it may be too moist.

I don't know as I am no expert and rather 'new' to this pet T think myself... however - this was a recent event... I do hope it helps.

R
              I am but a mere mortal with dreams of grandeur!

Comment

Working...
              X