No announcement yet.

I think my tarantula is dying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Richard, hope your T's improved, although if it is due to lack of water, vemiculite is not the best stuff, damp eco-earth with occassional misting and a water dish available at all times, we've found to be the best thing. Good luck

Comment

Was he still in that tall enclosure you originally had him in? the one we all suggested was too high?
      Did you provide him a water bowl at all times?
      If he's in an ICU I'd suggest some moist kitchen towel to take up half of the enclosure, no real need for any substrate. Maintain moisture to the towel and replace after 2 or 3 days. Keep it in a dark place and make sure the height isnt high enough for him to climb and then fall from!
      I'd seriously doubt this is down to a parasite. Shattered leg suggests a fall, and symptoms suggest dehydration.
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
        Was he still in that tall enclosure you originally had him in? the one we all suggested was too high?
        Did you provide him a water bowl at all times?
        If he's in an ICU I'd suggest some moist kitchen towel to take up half of the enclosure, no real need for any substrate. Maintain moisture to the towel and replace after 2 or 3 days. Keep it in a dark place and make sure the height isnt high enough for him to climb and then fall from!
        I'd seriously doubt this is down to a parasite. Shattered leg suggests a fall, and symptoms suggest dehydration.
        Originally posted by Mrs Linda Street View Post
        Hi Richard, hope your T's improved, although if it is due to lack of water, vemiculite is not the best stuff, damp eco-earth with occassional misting and a water dish available at all times, we've found to be the best thing. Good luck
        Thanks Linda, but the vermiculite is only whilst he's isolated, and then he'll be returned to his normal enclosure with dirt for substrate !

Any how, he is a lot better after keeping his in isolation and attempting to feed him a prekilled cricket (though I don't think he really gave a crap about it at the time; too weak - he may have had a bit though!), I saw there were slight improvements after he had a big drink of water, so instead of having to watch over him with Phil's idea (which turned out great by the way mate), I soaked a hlaf-cotton pad instead, which covered a quater of the flooring, and the tarantula began drinking from it. The shattered leg must've just been a clamp of dirt stuck to his hairs which disguised the end, because that's noo longer visible, and his abdomen was about a quater of his carapce, but today it is pretty much the same size! It's amazing what water can do and to really see its effects!

I will keep him isolated for a few more days until I'm completely sure he's okay, and I have disregarded the theory that it may be parasitic... I now very highly doubt that! Oh yeah and he's spreading his legs and walking properly, and quickly now too, though he's still not really vicious like he was!

Peter, I think it was Ice Cube you said I was keeping in too high a container, tough perhaps it was this one; however, no I never moved him from it. I think they're perfectly fine with the housing and I do not regret not doing what I was recommended either lol, as from what I've seen, no problems have occured from it! You haven't proved me wrong in that one yet mate, or the fact that "crickets ecscaping are inevitable" either lol!
        And no, I didn't provide a water dish - I will make sure I will from now onwards though that's for sure!

Thanks a lot Peter, and thanks Mrs Linda Street.
        Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
        Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Good news then Richard, sounds like he's on the mend, it's amazing how resiliant they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Linda Street View Post
            Good news then Richard, sounds like he's on the mend, it's amazing how resiliant they are.
            Lol yep definitely. Thanks Linda.
            Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!

Comment

Good news mate glad he's okey. I'll have to remember that one about the dehydration. Normally when people say something like you described it's parasitic, good job it wasn't i guess

Well done with the diagnosis folks.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Peachey View Post
                Good news mate glad he's okey. I'll have to remember that one about the dehydration. Normally when people say something like you described it's parasitic, good job it wasn't i guess

Well done with the diagnosis folks.

Mike
                Cheers Michael. Crazy what lack of water can do, and then seeing such a massive contrast of performance before and after drinking water.
                Thanks for your contribution Mike, and thank you once again to Phil who came to the conlclusion it was dehydration. Actually it was that and a starvation of food thereof that problem, but once I elimated his dehyrdation I just fed him two crickets yesterday and he had them both (but not at the same time lol, and not aggressive like he was before Ahwell he's starting to show signs of skittishness again!)

Comment

No problems, I'm just glad the spider recovered

My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                  X