No announcement yet.

Great news :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im keeping a small number of them back so I can sex them and hopefully obtain other specimens to breed with.

The others will be gone as soon as I advertise them ready for sale! The interest in these babies has been astonishing!
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Baines View Post
      Im keeping a small number of them back so I can sex them and hopefully obtain other specimens to breed with.

The others will be gone as soon as I advertise them ready for sale! The interest in these babies has been astonishing!
      Nice, I'm sure you'll get quite a bit from that!
      Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
      Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What a lovely start to the year Lisa. You'll be able to set up a stall at Leeds if the show is on again this year.
        Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

lol if I have any left!!! But yes any I have left will be available at leeds or newark... or any other show we may get to!

Anyway just to update.....

all the slings appear to be on her back and have gone really dark and lost some of their birth weight, so at some point very soon (hopefully by the weekend) we will have the mass shedding... which makes the female look like she has got really bad flakey sunburn!!! Quite comical to see if you haven't bred scorpions before!.

More pics to follow once this happens

Comment

lol if I have any left!!! But yes any I have left will be available at leeds or newark... or any other show we may get to!

Anyway just to update.....

all the slings appear to be on her back and have gone really dark and lost some of their birth weight, so at some point very soon (hopefully by the weekend) we will have the mass shedding... which makes the female look like she has got really bad flakey sunburn!!! Quite comical to see if you haven't bred scorpions before!.

More pics to follow once this happens
            I swear slings are spider-lings? Or can you say scorpion-lings as well???

Ooo that sounds disgusting lol, they do that all at the same time? Do they eat their skinflakes afterwards or is that just reptiles?
            And do you reckon any have gone missing?
            Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!

Comment

slings can also be short for scorplings... also me being lazy and cant be bothered to type the full word lol!

no they dont eat the exuviums, they just gradually ware off mums back as she moves around. Once they come off and separated from mum it's a case of keeping an eye on them to see how their hunting skills are... if they are a bit slow to hunt a beheadded cricket or some thawed squats should help them to feed

And the first shed is a mass shed... after that they shed when they are ready to depending on how much they have eaten.

They all seem to be there although a little slimmer! I cant wait for them to come off mums back so I can get a head count... black light at the ready to find them in the substrate... dark brown scorpions on forest bed substrate... like finding a needle in a haystack... JOY!

Comment

slings can also be short for scorplings... also me being lazy and cant be bothered to type the full word lol!

no they dont eat the exuviums, they just gradually ware off mums back as she moves around. Once they come off and separated from mum it's a case of keeping an eye on them to see how their hunting skills are... if they are a bit slow to hunt a beheadded cricket or some thawed squats should help them to feed

And the first shed is a mass shed... after that they shed when they are ready to depending on how much they have eaten.

They all seem to be there although a little slimmer! I cant wait for them to come off mums back so I can get a head count... black light at the ready to find them in the substrate... dark brown scorpions on forest bed substrate... like finding a needle in a haystack... JOY!
                Lol yeah I thought so I just wasn't sure if there was such a word

Wow yes I can imagine it would be, which is another thing involving keeping arachnids which I'm not willing to do due to time consumption, potential annoyance (imagine counting ten out of twenty, then going to count the eleventh and they've all shifted!!) and just having to tend to each one individually (well mainly spiders but yeah), out of some massive number of the spiders. Too much for me, but if you're into the hobby as much then definitely that person should go for it
                I prefer having four t.s and that's it, and to all the disbelievers previously... I still only have and intend on having four

Comment

well if 4 makes you happy why spoil a good thing.

The last species I bred was hadogenes paucadins. banded flat rock scorpion. known for cannibalism so i had to feed them all in their individual pots once they were 2i. which was a pain but i did get all 30 to survive which is some achievement with this species.

luckily these are communal but i'm not ruling out the possibility that at the first sign of cannibalism I will have to do the seperate pots thing.

But I do get a buzz from breeding them, watching them grow, sad to see them go really

Comment

well if 4 makes you happy why spoil a good thing.

The last species I bred was hadogenes paucadins. banded flat rock scorpion. known for cannibalism so i had to feed them all in their individual pots once they were 2i. which was a pain but i did get all 30 to survive which is some achievement with this species.

luckily these are communal but i'm not ruling out the possibility that at the first sign of cannibalism I will have to do the seperate pots thing.

But I do get a buzz from breeding them, watching them grow, sad to see them go really
                    Wow, how did you go about catching them?

Yeah many of these "communal" invertebrates seem quite cannibalistic at times, which is mad but it happens of course.

Oh yeah you would, but so much time consumption once again. I really, really want the Albino Burmese Python when I'm older though, I wonder what it's like to breed snakes...

Comment

Hi Lisa,

How about writing up some of your experiances with Scorpions for the BTS Journal? I am sure they would make great articles.

Ray

Comment

hmmm might be an idea.

unfortunately I have bad news to report... mum has demolished all but 2 of the brood.

Had she hung on to giving birth until the end of the month I would have got my 'maternity suite' sorted upstairs where it is nice and quiet. Oh well such is life. I have managed to rear scorplings with kids running around but if this was her first brood there are a number of reasons why she may have eaten them, 1st brood / my kids / noise in general.

Anyhow im gunna get her plumped back up again over the next month or so and try breeding her again. so hopefully next year i will have better news on this species

Anyway all is not lost I still have a gravid scorpio maurus and the heterometrus madraspatensis is on a mad burrowing mission... being a right bulldozer and in a general 'nesting' behaviour. So I think she may have several buns in the oven

Comment

Sorry to hear that Lisa, that's a big disappointment, but will keep our fingers crossed for next time

Comment

Working...
                          X