No announcement yet.

My B.Smithi pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

found this pic on the web of a brachy female. comparing the two, it looks like my Garrettuma.....is male!!!?!?!?!?!????

Comment

Oh sorry about my above post I missed half the thread. Matt, that really is a good camera, and how did you do that (ply apart the abdomen skin I mean)????????????????????
      Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
      Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Literally as my post says, two paint brushes and some water. But it's *very* delicate. I suppose years of miniature painting growing up finally came in handy lol in that I didnt completely wreck it.

Just laid it down though on a flat plastic lid. Upside down. Just kept slowly applying small amounts of water, puring it over the abdomen part (not the rest). Then gradually with some soft small brushes, teased it slowly open. Eventually, the surface tension of the water underneath almost helps holding the sides down, and then I just got in really close with the camera lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Brett View Post
          Literally as my post says, two paint brushes and some water. But it's *very* delicate. I suppose years of miniature painting growing up finally came in handy lol in that I didnt completely wreck it.

Just laid it down though on a flat plastic lid. Upside down. Just kept slowly applying small amounts of water, puring it over the abdomen part (not the rest). Then gradually with some soft small brushes, teased it slowly open. Eventually, the surface tension of the water underneath almost helps holding the sides down, and then I just got in really close with the camera lol.
          Lol, copied and pasted man, thank you. And this page bookmarked
          Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
          Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Good photo, and just what you need. I dare someone will help you clarify 2morrow if its male. Mike

Comment

yep, def looks like a male to me. same mout as my smithi, and mines a he lol. but yeh, looking at the pic def a male

Comment

That may well provide enough info for someone to give a proper sexing. Its not something I'm good at unfortunately, still learning.
                Can I suggest if you have a good magnifying glass, put the exuvium on your finger and wrap the area above the book lungs over the tip of your finger. put a magnifying glass on this area and try to depict humps above the epigastric furrow (which appears like a slightly curved slice). If you can attempt a picture at that you should get a very good sexing. Problem is, immature females and mature males can often look very similar.
                My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Shah View Post
                  Oh really? That's pretty damn big... mine is only 7/8cm and I've had it for a year now. I know they are slow growers but wow!

... are my t.s too small still??

Richard, if your tarantula (B.smithi) is from the same sac as mine, and most indications say they are, then it will be growing just fine.
                  Take a look at this picture.

In the top left hand corner, you will see the moulted carapace from when my smithi moulted the first time whilst in my possession. The skin was damaged by myself and wasn't worth saving. Then take a look at the skin and carapace on the left. Its much bigger. Compare that to the skin and carapace on the right, much bigger still. Almost twice the size. So imagine how big Gloria will grow to after her next moult? Almost as big as Matt's.
                  Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

Working...
                  X