No announcement yet.

Can anyone identify this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have said B. vagans are often hybridized with the likes of B. albopilosum (from memory) and this often happens in the wild too.
    B. vagans grow up to 5-6" whereas many Pamphobeteus grow larger. They also cost more which often rules out the confusion.
    The temperament of each is quite different too, vagans usually a little skittish and keen to burrow away whereas Pampho's tend to be a bit more aggressive and much faster.
    Aside from that I can't help, good photos of B. vagans seem to look very similar to the species Guy has so perhaps some clearer pix, ventral shots and sizes might help. Colin Wilson seems pretty clued up on vagans, and bred them, might be worth stealing a bit of his time.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
      As others have said B. vagans are often hybridized with the likes of B. albopilosum (from memory) and this often happens in the wild too.
      Hi,

do you please have any refrences of this in the wild??

cheers
      Eddy

Comment

Thanks for your replies everyone and thanks for the adice.
        I would like to try and examine the skin (thanks for that advice Chris) but i don't know the differences between the 2 genus' so i don't really know what i'd be looking for.
        The spider didn't come with a heavy price tag Peter, i bought a B smithi, B albopolisum and the supposed B vagans off a guy for £100 with setups. Like i said earlier,it's not that aggressive and does prefer to flee.If hybridization could be apparent then would there be someone at the bts exhibition who could help me identify the genus if i brought the spider and a skin along? I'd really like to clear this up.
        Cheers,
        Rob

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Unfortunately not, I'm merely repeating what I've read in this, and other forums and my discussions with other members of BTS.
          Hopefully Colin will include his input and either tell me "your off your head Lacey" or provide some of the info from the field.
          My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

yeah some real of the field info would be GREAT Colin!

Eddy

Comment

I would like to try and examine the skin (thanks for that advice Chris) but i don't know the differences between the 2 genus' so i don't really know what i'd be looking for.
              Hi

Here is a place to start:-

and you can compare the general forms of these to:-

Off course it won't tell you 100% what you have but I think could make you wiser towards what it could be.

Eddy

There's some nice information about B. vagans in the wild in that book `Tarantulas of Belize´ by Steven B. Reichling and it also has good notes on the habbitate also. Don't think B. albopilosum is mentioned it though as I think this species is found in a different country.
              (sorry Eddy I couldn't resist that. Oh picking up the T-shirts tomoz btw and by all respects I think this is one of the best yet!)

cheers
              Chris

Comment

To clarify i'm going on sightings and reports from my friend, Who spends about 3-4 months a year in central/south america on private arachnological field trips. (yes he's rich)

He's observed B vagans in the northern area of Costa Rica, also a few examples of adult spider showing charactors from both vagans and albopilosum, particularly one example he remarked on where a mature male had a golden carapace and bright red setae on the abdomen, the spider was collected (later returned) and on keying out the results were apparently inconclusive to either species.

We know the two species will hybridise as its been established that it's happened in captivity hence the "pet trade" vagans floating around, this was several years ago if memory serves
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

and there was me thinking that Brachypelma angustum was found in Costa Rica together with Brachypelma albopilosum.

are there any official reports of Brachypelma vagans in Costa Rica?

Comment

Hey Chris,
                    Those links were sound mate. You can see a clear difference between the 2 genus'. I've looked in the exuvium and there is a spermathecae so at least i know she's female but i need a magnifying glass or microscope because it's 2 small to make out with the naked eye. So i'm still not sure of the genus.
                    I'd like to thank you tho' mate. You've tought me something!

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Martin View Post
                      Hey Chris,
                      Those links were sound mate. You can see a clear difference between the 2 genus'. I've looked in the exuvium and there is a spermathecae so at least i know she's female but i need a magnifying glass or microscope because it's 2 small to make out with the naked eye. So i'm still not sure of the genus.
                      I'd like to thank you tho' mate. You've tought me something!

Rob.
                      Maybe pedantically, can I point out that the plural of genus is 'genera'

My Collection:

Comment

Cheers for that Phil. Your now the second person who's tought me something. Just shows that no matter how much you think you know,there's always something more you can learn in this hobby...!

Comment

99% sure its a Sericopelma, if you send me the skin ill confirm that.

Ray

Comment

Cheers Ray,
                            Wot makes you think it's a Sericopelma??
                            I'll send you the skin but it's a little battered. I think it's workable tho. I appreciate your help mate...

Comment

Hi again Ray,
                              I did a search on that genus and come up with this picture in this link http://www.atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2684 it looks identical to my 't'. I think you may be right mate...

Comment

Working...
                              X