Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What species was your first Old World tarantula and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spider species is a bad choice, some are just more interesting to deal with

My first old-worlder was a 2.5 inch P. murinus. After spending 2 hours held hostage by him in the bathroom I finally got him in his tank, but after that he was no harder to care for than any other T. And at least he couldn't kick hairs at me!

Comment

The C. Crawshayi are a gorgeous colour, they don't flick and maintain that 'just moulted look' throughout their life, and construct some marvellous tunnels.

Comment

old world

Mine is a P. murinus, is still a little fellow at the moment-so much faster than my other 2 new world. I chose it because the fiery personality and their hardy attributes.

Comment

My first old world was a Stromatopelma calceatum, a sling, together with my first ever new world too, a B. albop.
          spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

S calceatum, Mary?! again with the deep end
            definitely would love to get some of them one day
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
              S calceatum, Mary?! again with the deep end
              definitely would love to get some of them one day
              James I have Kev's male here but my Christal will have none of it. Yep it was £1 so I bought it lol, I seem to remember the albop was £3.50, from a BTS show.
              spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

I am from south east asia, old world have strong character and they have striking coloration of their own. They tend to be mysterious also. Those are the few attribute attracted me starting my T collection. As suggested, Pokies is a beatiful T also to keep. Even Bts logo is base on it.

Another beautiful old world T (Lampropelma violoceopes / Sg blue). Shes in post molt but still a beauty. They grow fast.

Last edited by Ng Liangquan; 20-03-09, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Mine was an AF Cameroon Baboon (Hysterocrates gigas) beautiful spider but
                  quite feisty. I found she'd escaped one morning by sliding open the glass front
                  to her vivarium, 22cm x 25cm, so quite impressive.... strong spider.

That's a nice Lampropelma Ng....

AndyZoo
                  Collection:-
                  Theraphosa blondi 1.0.0
                  Poecilotheria ornata 0.0.1
                  Avicularia versicolour 0.0.1
                  Citharischius crawshayi 0.0.3
                  Brachypelma schroederi 0.0.1
                  Brachypelma smithi 0.0.2
                  Nhandu chromatus 0.0.3
                  Grammastola pulchripes 0.0.1
                  Grammastola spatulata 0.1.0

Comment

ah good luck Mary!!!
                    Ng, i agree, you have some fantastic spiders in South East Asia!

Andy, did you find her again???? not the most fun spider to have loose, though it'd probably just go to ground somewhere
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Yeah James she did turn up 3 weeks later. I'd been wearing boots in the flat all the time in case. She'd climbed out the window across the roof down the wall, and must have been living on the bank at the back of the flat. I was living in a flat over the function room/cafe at Port Lympne Zoo at the time. The spider was spotted heading into the function room while a wedding reception was underway, recovered her just before she scared the living daylights out of the band that was just setting up. Close one.....
                      Quite dehydrated but recovered fine and lived another 3 years or so after that.

AndyZoo
                      Last edited by Andy Wood; 24-03-09, 09:32 AM.
                      Collection:-
                      Theraphosa blondi 1.0.0
                      Poecilotheria ornata 0.0.1
                      Avicularia versicolour 0.0.1
                      Citharischius crawshayi 0.0.3
                      Brachypelma schroederi 0.0.1
                      Brachypelma smithi 0.0.2
                      Nhandu chromatus 0.0.3
                      Grammastola pulchripes 0.0.1
                      Grammastola spatulata 0.1.0

Comment

Working...